UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass ranked in top 25 for LGBTQ students -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass football fall camp day five: Rodney Mills looks to continue bringing versatility to tight end position -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Route 9 Diner to reopen under new ownership -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Rising UMass sophomore dies unexpectedly -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

UMass football fall camp day four: Veteran offensive line boasts chemistry, looks to improve run blocking -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

A colorful UMass homecoming -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Potential nighttime and weekend parking fee at UMass tabled -

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

UMass football fall camp day three: Ex-quarterbacks A.J. Doyle, Andrew Verboys continue transitions to new positions -

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

UMass football fall camp day two: Defensive secondary hopes experience, added depth brings greater consistency -

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

UMass welcomes VCU to the ‘House of P.A.I.N.’

Cade Belisle/Daily Collegian

Cade Belisle/Daily Collegian

The Massachusetts men’s basketball team has a message to deliver.

The team has heard all about the vaunted Virginia Commonwealth’s “Havoc” style of defense. The Minutemen are wary of the dangers posed by facing such a tiring, explosive full-court press. And while the Havoc continues to steal the headlines, UMass wants to debut its own brand of basketball on a national stage.

“We got the ‘House of P.A.I.N.,’” senior forward Raphiael Putney said. “People don’t know what the House of P.A.I.N. feels like until they get here. So when they come here they’re really gonna feel that, especially with the sold out crowd.”

The Minutemen will host VCU on Friday at 7 p.m. in the “House of P.A.I.N.”—more commonly known as Mullins Center—during a game aired nationally on ESPN2 in front of an expect sellout crowd.

“P.A.I.N.” is an acronym created this season by the UMass coaching staff, which wanted to transform the Minutemen’s style of basketball into its own personal brand. The acronym stands for “pressure,” “agitate,” “interrupt” and “neutralize,” and follows a concept similar to the Rams’ embodiment of the Havoc mindset.

Both UMass and VCU want to turn the game into a track meet by transitioning up and down the court in a blur. The Minutemen believe that upping their defensive performance is the key to dictating the course of the game.

“Just bring our defense,” Putney said. “I don’t think (VCU’s) that great of an offensive team. With our defense and the way we play in the half-court, we can get more turnovers that way so it’ll be good for us to see what we can do.”

UMass is holding opponents to just 41 percent shooting this season and is even more effective farther away from the basket, holding opponents to just 30.5 percent from 3-point range. VCU is averaging a robust 76.5 points per game, but is shooting just 42 percent from the floor. Minutemen coach Derek Kellogg noted that getting stops defensively keeps VCU from effectively setting up its full-court press.

“Like most pressing teams, when you hear Louisville talk or Arkansas talk, they need to score baskets or get dead balls so they can set their press,” Kellogg said. “The teams, when they’re scoring, are much more effective because they can get into it more often.”

The Rams feature an athletic roster with plenty of experience. Among them is senior forward Juvonte Reddic, who is averaging 12.4 points and 8.3 rebounds per game. He’s VCU’s most effective post scorer and will match up with UMass center Cady Lalanne.

“The reality is, when they really need a basket, they look to post (Reddic),” Kellogg said. “And he’s one of the better big guys in the league, and they have a really good front line with him and Treveon Graham.”

But Putney believes that the Minutemen pose significant matchup problems for VCU—especially at the forward positions where Putney teams with Sampson Carter, Maxie Esho and Lalanne—something the team can expose if it limits turnovers.

“I think we’re actually better at the four and five (positions),” Putney said. “We have a lot of hybrids who I think (the Rams’) hybrids can’t really guard. So if we take care of the ball and run in transition, we’ll be in great shape.”

Putney also noted that revenge is simmering on UMass’ mind.

VCU defeated the Minutemen twice last season, defeating UMass at home 86-68 and knocking them out of the Atlantic 10 Championship in the semifinals 71-62, ending its season and crushing any NCAA Tournament hopes. Now, in front of a sold-out crowd, the Minutemen will have a chance to exact some revenge and deliver on a signature win.

“Definitely revenge,” Putney said. “I think both games (last year), we should’ve beat them but we made some careless turnovers which got them on their runs. If we take care of the basketball and play good defense, we’ll be in great hands.”

Mark Chiarelli can be reached at mchiarel@umass.edu and followed on Twitter @Mark_Chiarelli.

One Response to “UMass welcomes VCU to the ‘House of P.A.I.N.’”
  1. Jeremy says:

House of pain… what a joke. They don’t even belong in the tournament after that home loss to George Mason