Suspect in custody after break-ins on Lincoln Avenue -

Thursday, August 28, 2014

UMass crime alerts reveal reports of lewd acts -

Friday, August 22, 2014

UMass women’s soccer hopes added depth brings more consistency in 2014 -

Friday, August 22, 2014

UMass mourns death of alumnus and journalist James Foley -

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Kassan Messiah, Trey Seals to shoulder pass rushing responsibility for UMass football -

Thursday, August 21, 2014

UMass names Blake Frohnapfel as the starting quarterback -

Monday, August 18, 2014

Decision looms for Mark Whipple as UMass football looks to name starting quarterback -

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Former UMass star Marcel Shipp overseeing a strong running back competition -

Saturday, August 9, 2014

Former UMass basketball star Chaz Williams signs professional contract in Turkey, still eyeing NBA career -

Thursday, August 7, 2014

Minutemen anxious to display aggressive defense -

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

UMass football turns the page, excited for 2014 season -

Monday, August 4, 2014

UMass student struck and killed by vehicle Thursday night -

Friday, August 1, 2014

UMass receives anonymous $10.3 million gift -

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

UMass football summer coverage 2014 -

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UMass Rowing finishes NCAA Championships, ends year ranked No. 21 in the nation -

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Two UMass basketball alums to compete for a lofty prize in The Basketball Tournament -

Friday, May 23, 2014

Commencement Photos 2014 -

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Second half surge leads UMass men’s lacrosse over Harvard

Robert Rigo/Daily Collegian

Robert Rigo/Daily Collegian

With two minutes, 11 seconds remaining in the third quarter, Matt Whippen fired a shot that deflected off of Harvard goalkeeper Jake Gambitsky in front of the net. Nick Mariano, like he has been all year, was in the right place at the right time to scoop up the ground ball and find the back of the net, breaking a 3-3 tie.

Mariano’s goal started a chain reaction of offense for the Minutemen, who scored five goals in the final 17 minutes of the game in an 8-4 win against Harvard on Saturday at Garber Field.

“It was a scrappy goal that was just sitting on the crease,” Mariano said. “I just picked it up and finished it and you could see the whole crowed go crazy and our team got an extra lift from it.”

Mariano scored three goals for his second hat trick in just three career games. His nine goals are by far the most on the UMass roster, and currently is tied for seventh in the country for total goals scored.

Prior to Mariano’s goal, UMass (3-0) endured a stretch of 25 minutes, 56 seconds in which the Minutemen couldn’t find the back of the net.

“(Mariano) seemed like he felt comfortable from Day 1, UMass coach Greg Cannella said. “Not only on the field as a player, but as a leader as well. He has a lot of maturity which helps him.”

UMass owed much of its success on Saturday to face-off specialist Joe Calvello, who won 11 of 16 face-offs.  Calvello only lost two draws cleanly with the other three losses coming on  violations. The preseason all-conference player also contributed on offense with an assist to Grant Whiteway and led the team with 10 ground balls.

Harvard (0-1) was lead by Peter Schwartz, who finished the game with two goals and an assist in the losing effort.

“It was a good effort all the way around,” Cannella said. “Their preparation and their efforts have been outstanding all season long. Harvard is a very good defensive team so we had to find many different ways to score.”

Cannella got his wish just over a minute into the second period as long pole defensemen James Fahey caught Whiteway’s pass in stride and ripped a shot passed Gambitsky to break a 1-1 tie. Fahey’s goal marked the first time a long pole player has scored a goal since the 2012 season.

Goalie Zach Oliveri recorded 14 saves in the win, six of which came in the fourth quarter to preserve the Minutemen’s third consecutive win.

Although his name didn’t appear much in the stat sheets, short stick defensemen Ryan Izzo was all over the field, making it difficult for Harvard to get many clean looks at Oliveri.  Every time Izzo made a big hit, he would turn to his bench and scream loudly to get his teammates fired up.

“(Izzo) is the type of leader everyone loves to follow,” Cannella. “He sets such a high bar that’s tough for everyone to follow.  It’s hard to live up to his standards, but every team needs a guy like that to make sure everyone is held accountable.”

The Minutemen return to action this Saturday at 1 p.m. with a game against Brown.

Andrew Cyr can be reached at arcyr@umass.edu and can be followed on Twitter @Andrew_Cyr.