Three new students appointed as SGA special assistants -

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Allymohamed scores game winner after suffering facial injury against Boston University -

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Loaded weekend against Marist, Keene State challenges UMass club hockey -

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

UMass football seeing improvement on both the offensive and defensive lines -

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Remembering Derek Jeter: an appraisal -

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Yellowcard switches things up on “Lift a Sail” -

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Campus Sustainability Day to take place Wednesday -

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Woosley paces UMass tennis at the ITA Northeast Regionals -

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Sonny Landreth performs intense, brief set at the Iron Horse -

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Tinashe impresses on debut album, “Aquarius” -

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Ebola coverage is misinforming -

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Two counts of larceny occur over the weekend -

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

UMass student charged in connection with alleged involvement in racist vandalisms -

Monday, October 20, 2014

UMass student found dead in McNamara Hall -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Protect Our Breasts runs Breast Cancer Awareness campaign -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Underclassmen lead UMass hockey to first victory of the season -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Super Smash Bros. 3DS: A classic revitalized -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Dear Chancellor: Improve the FAC -

Monday, October 20, 2014

UMass women’s soccer shut out by Rhode Island -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Students at UMass rally to show support for Hong Kong -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Second half surge leads UMass men’s lacrosse over Harvard

Robert Rigo/Daily Collegian

Robert Rigo/Daily Collegian

With two minutes, 11 seconds remaining in the third quarter, Matt Whippen fired a shot that deflected off of Harvard goalkeeper Jake Gambitsky in front of the net. Nick Mariano, like he has been all year, was in the right place at the right time to scoop up the ground ball and find the back of the net, breaking a 3-3 tie.

Mariano’s goal started a chain reaction of offense for the Minutemen, who scored five goals in the final 17 minutes of the game in an 8-4 win against Harvard on Saturday at Garber Field.

“It was a scrappy goal that was just sitting on the crease,” Mariano said. “I just picked it up and finished it and you could see the whole crowed go crazy and our team got an extra lift from it.”

Mariano scored three goals for his second hat trick in just three career games. His nine goals are by far the most on the UMass roster, and currently is tied for seventh in the country for total goals scored.

Prior to Mariano’s goal, UMass (3-0) endured a stretch of 25 minutes, 56 seconds in which the Minutemen couldn’t find the back of the net.

“(Mariano) seemed like he felt comfortable from Day 1, UMass coach Greg Cannella said. “Not only on the field as a player, but as a leader as well. He has a lot of maturity which helps him.”

UMass owed much of its success on Saturday to face-off specialist Joe Calvello, who won 11 of 16 face-offs.  Calvello only lost two draws cleanly with the other three losses coming on  violations. The preseason all-conference player also contributed on offense with an assist to Grant Whiteway and led the team with 10 ground balls.

Harvard (0-1) was lead by Peter Schwartz, who finished the game with two goals and an assist in the losing effort.

“It was a good effort all the way around,” Cannella said. “Their preparation and their efforts have been outstanding all season long. Harvard is a very good defensive team so we had to find many different ways to score.”

Cannella got his wish just over a minute into the second period as long pole defensemen James Fahey caught Whiteway’s pass in stride and ripped a shot passed Gambitsky to break a 1-1 tie. Fahey’s goal marked the first time a long pole player has scored a goal since the 2012 season.

Goalie Zach Oliveri recorded 14 saves in the win, six of which came in the fourth quarter to preserve the Minutemen’s third consecutive win.

Although his name didn’t appear much in the stat sheets, short stick defensemen Ryan Izzo was all over the field, making it difficult for Harvard to get many clean looks at Oliveri.  Every time Izzo made a big hit, he would turn to his bench and scream loudly to get his teammates fired up.

“(Izzo) is the type of leader everyone loves to follow,” Cannella. “He sets such a high bar that’s tough for everyone to follow.  It’s hard to live up to his standards, but every team needs a guy like that to make sure everyone is held accountable.”

The Minutemen return to action this Saturday at 1 p.m. with a game against Brown.

Andrew Cyr can be reached at arcyr@umass.edu and can be followed on Twitter @Andrew_Cyr.