UMass baseball finishes season with sweep over George Mason -

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in NCAA quarterfinal -

‘Green Room’ is a bloody blast of survival horror -

DaLuz: Boston Celtics stuck trudging in the mud -

Despite tallying double-digit hits, UMass baseball falls to Fairfield Tuesday afternoon -

Radiohead returns to the top with gorgeous, illuminating ‘A Moon Shaped Pool’ -

UMass women’s lacrosse advances to quarterfinal of NCAA tournament -

UMass baseball outlasts Rhode Island in series finale behind strong pitching of Brandon Walsh -

Eileen McDonald’s overtime goal advances UMass women’s lacrosse in NCAA tournament -

12 UMass students face possible arrests in connection to an alleged bad LSD trip -

UMass baseball falls in first-ever Division I matchup with UMass Lowell 7-3 -

UMass baseball gets shut out in nonconference matchup with UConn -

UMass women’s lacrosse tops Richmond, wins eighth straight Atlantic 10 championship -

UMass baseball salvages last game of weekend series with Richmond behind strong eighth inning -

UMass women’s lacrosse beats St. Joe’s, advance to Atlantic 10 championship game -

Lack of offense plagues UMass baseball in game two of doubleheader with Fordham -

UMass women’s lacrosse tops Davidson 12-5 on Senior Day -

Two arrested after report of aggravated robbery in Washington Hall last night -

Former UMass wide receiver Tajae Sharpe selected in fifth round of 2016 NFL Draft -

Ryan Moloney pitches seven scoreless innings as UMass baseball takes series opener from Fordham -

UMass club hockey defeated by Boston College in first round of the ACHA regional tournament

Fanny Schertzer

Fanny Schertzer

After winning its first New England Club Hockey Association Patriot Conference Championship, the Massachusetts’ club hockey team’s dream of playing in the ACHA national tournament came to an abrupt end for the Minutemen, as they fell to Boston College 8-3 on Saturday in the regional tournament.

UMass dug itself an early 3-0 hole in the first period, something coach Jamie Magarian said was because his team came out flat and was outplayed throughout the contest,

“You need to play a full 60 minutes against a team like B.C. and we clearly didn’t do that,” he said. “We got down in a hole in the first period, 3-0, and that’s a tough hurdle to climb over.”

The Minutemen were held scoreless in the first period, but not for a lack of scoring chances. With seven minutes left in the first period, Peter Kelly attempted to wrap the puck around the net, which would have tied the game at 1-1, but had the puck bounce off his stick.

BC extended its lead to 4-0 just over a minute into the second period. UMass’ energy returned after Bret Mason scored a much-needed goal off a forced turnover in the neutral zone to beat the Eagles’ goalie.

Shortly after, Mason capitalized again on a power play, as he skated by a BC defenseman and connected with a powerful shot on goal.

The Minutemen ended the second period down by two goals, but the Eagles ended any likelihood of a UMass comeback by scoring four more in the third period.

Magarian said that the Minutemen didn’t complete the comeback because they couldn’t take advantage of second chance opportunities, and their lack of defensive pressure did little to faze the Eagles.

UMass has a lot to look forward to next season, as only two of its players will be graduating, which will put the team far ahead of curve, according to Magarian.

Additionally, Magarian hopes that his roster will be supplemented by several high school seniors, who he classifies as “great junior-level hockey players,” that are still waiting on admission from the University.

Although Magarian believes that the Minutemen need to improve on being a more consistent team, especially considering how young they are, he is confident in his team’s chances for next season, particularly due to the fact that “there is unfinished business to take care of.”

Matthew Zackman can be reached at mzackman@umass.edu.