UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass ranked in top 25 for LGBTQ students -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass football fall camp day five: Rodney Mills looks to continue bringing versatility to tight end position -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Route 9 Diner to reopen under new ownership -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Rising UMass sophomore dies unexpectedly -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

UMass football fall camp day four: Veteran offensive line boasts chemistry, looks to improve run blocking -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

A colorful UMass homecoming -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Potential nighttime and weekend parking fee at UMass tabled -

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

UMass football fall camp day three: Ex-quarterbacks A.J. Doyle, Andrew Verboys continue transitions to new positions -

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

UMass football fall camp day two: Defensive secondary hopes experience, added depth brings greater consistency -

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

UMass club hockey defeated by Boston College in first round of the ACHA regional tournament

Fanny Schertzer

Fanny Schertzer

After winning its first New England Club Hockey Association Patriot Conference Championship, the Massachusetts’ club hockey team’s dream of playing in the ACHA national tournament came to an abrupt end for the Minutemen, as they fell to Boston College 8-3 on Saturday in the regional tournament.

UMass dug itself an early 3-0 hole in the first period, something coach Jamie Magarian said was because his team came out flat and was outplayed throughout the contest,

“You need to play a full 60 minutes against a team like B.C. and we clearly didn’t do that,” he said. “We got down in a hole in the first period, 3-0, and that’s a tough hurdle to climb over.”

The Minutemen were held scoreless in the first period, but not for a lack of scoring chances. With seven minutes left in the first period, Peter Kelly attempted to wrap the puck around the net, which would have tied the game at 1-1, but had the puck bounce off his stick.

BC extended its lead to 4-0 just over a minute into the second period. UMass’ energy returned after Bret Mason scored a much-needed goal off a forced turnover in the neutral zone to beat the Eagles’ goalie.

Shortly after, Mason capitalized again on a power play, as he skated by a BC defenseman and connected with a powerful shot on goal.

The Minutemen ended the second period down by two goals, but the Eagles ended any likelihood of a UMass comeback by scoring four more in the third period.

Magarian said that the Minutemen didn’t complete the comeback because they couldn’t take advantage of second chance opportunities, and their lack of defensive pressure did little to faze the Eagles.

UMass has a lot to look forward to next season, as only two of its players will be graduating, which will put the team far ahead of curve, according to Magarian.

Additionally, Magarian hopes that his roster will be supplemented by several high school seniors, who he classifies as “great junior-level hockey players,” that are still waiting on admission from the University.

Although Magarian believes that the Minutemen need to improve on being a more consistent team, especially considering how young they are, he is confident in his team’s chances for next season, particularly due to the fact that “there is unfinished business to take care of.”

Matthew Zackman can be reached at mzackman@umass.edu.