UMass chancellor suspends use of student confidential informants -

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Only a freshman, Matthew Mooney provides valuable minutes for UMass men’s soccer -

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Fox’s new ‘Red Band Society’ could be important if it wasn’t misguided -

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

The SGA can’t fix problems without students’ help -

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Minutewomen look for improved offense, steady defense in A-10 play -

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Safe Passage provides services for survivors of domestic violence -

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

A fruity, creamy berry Irish Fool recipe -

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

UMass women’s soccer battles Harvard to a draw -

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

UMatter at UMass campaign tackling problem of alcohol and drug abuse -

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

UMass to implement new electronic security sign-in system -

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

With conference play under way, UMass looks to get on track -

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Depth, chemistry powers UMass club hockey -

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Hader and Wiig give a beating heart to ‘Skeleton Twins’ -

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

UMass falls short at home to UNH 1-0 -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Tennis shines in West Point Invitational -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

SGA to launch new binge drinking awareness campaign -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

UMass rugby captain Devin Ibanez: ‘I’m just a rugby maniac’ -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

SGA discusses University’s confidential informant policy -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Akron upsets ACC foe, Toledo outruns Central Michigan -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Electro-pop duo Cherub takes its sweet sound to Pearl Street -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Freshman Hannah Murphy taking on more responsibilities for No. 10 UMass women’s lax

Cade Belisle/Daily Collegian

Cade Belisle/Daily Collegian

Late in the first half of the No. 10 Massachusetts women’s lacrosse team’s game against Holy Cross last Wednesday, freshman Hannah Murphy lined up for a free position attempt following a foul against her in front of the Crusaders’ net. As play resumed, Murphy took four steps forward and fired a low shot beyond the goalkeeper’s reach and into the back of the net.

The goal was Murphy’s first of her three-game collegiate career as the Minutewomen (3-0) went on to win 12-6.

“I just really wanted to get it in,” Murphy said. “I was thinking positive and I didn’t really have any other thoughts.”

Along with her goal, Murphy finished last Wednesday’s game with a team-leading four draw controls, which earned her praise from UMass coach Angela McMahon.

“She was extremely confident and extremely poised on the field,” McMahon said. “Sometimes freshmen can play to not make a mistake, but (Murphy) was just being aggressive and was ready to step into her moment.”

McMahon said that her performance against Holy Cross will only lead to further success, which includes the Minutewomen’s next game against Boston University (0-2) this Wednesday at McGuirk Stadium.

In particular, McMahon said that Murphy will be a key part in winning the crucial draw control battle with the Terriers.

“(Murphy) has really bought into our whole draw control philosophy and work ethic,” McMahon said. “I think she’s perfect for that role.”

For the season, Murphy has registered five draw control wins, which is tied for the team lead along with seniors Kelsey McGovern and Kelsey Sheridan.

Murphy credits McGovern, who broke the UMass single-season record with 110 draw control wins last season, with helping her improve on faceoffs in recent weeks.

Murphy said that just by watching McGovern compete on faceoffs in practice has helped her hone her own skills in the area. In addition, McGovern personally works with Murphy twice a week in practice on draw controls, according to Murphy.

“To have two really strong players really push themselves and each other in practice, it really helps them to prepare for our opponents,” McMahon said.

McMahon added that Murphy’s success on faceoffs has also eased McGovern’s transition back to playing in regular-season games, as the senior defenseman is coming off an ACL surgery last summer.

Aside from draw controls, McMahon said that she is encouraging Murphy, along with the Minutewomen’s other underclassmen, to maintain a high level of confidence against BU and as the season progresses.

“We want her to continue to be really aggressive,” McMahon said. “Sometimes, I think our team and offense relies on our upperclassmen to be the ones to take it into goal, but now we want everyone to step up, with (Murphy) included.”

Murphy said that she acknowledged the importance of staying aggressive by comparing her college playing experience with her high school years.

“Everyone’s faster and a lot more aggressive, but the transition has been pretty easy with everyone, including my coaches and my teammates helping me out,” Murphy said. “I’m just hoping to work hard and take advantage of every opportunity that I have.”

Anthony Chiusano can be reached at achiusano@umass.edu and can be followed on Twitter @a_chiusano24.