UMass men’s basketball falters in the second half, falling to George Washington 83-67 Thursday -

UPDATE: SGA announces second and third artist for ‘Mullins Live!’ -

Divest UMass and STPEC host panel on building ‘solidarity economies’ in the Trump era -

UMass women’s basketball losing streak extends to 10 games after loss to URI -

Sixth annual Advocacy Day set to take place March 1 -

Panel discusses racial, sexual and psychological violence in response to art exhibit -

Judy Dixon enters final season with UMass tennis with simple message: One match at a time -

UMass baseball enduring early-season limitation in playing in New England -

Minutewomen softball begins season with cross-country travel, string of tournaments -

UMass baseball looks to bounce back from disappointing 2016 season -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior Hannah Murphy is Angela McMahon’s latest legend in the making -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior defenders accept leadership roles in quest for ninth consecutive Atlantic 10 Championship -

Kelsey McGovern rejoins UMass women’s lacrosse as an assistant coach after starring for Minutewomen -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to continue improving throughout 2017 season -

Spring Sports Special Issue 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defense relying on senior leadership with new faces in starting lineup -

UMass softball fills holes left by seniors with freshmen for 2017 -

The Hart of the Lineup -

UMass softball prepares for a long, busy season in 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defenseman Tyler Weeks makes his way back from ACL injury -

Eipp leads No. 10 UMass women’s lax to victory over BU

(Cade Belisle/Daily Collegian)

(Cade Belisle/Daily Collegian)

The No. 10 Massachusetts women’s lacrosse team has a group of players that it typically counts on to step up score when the team needs an extra push: Katie Ferris, Sam Rush and Tanner Guarino.

But in Wednesday’s game against Boston University, it was sophomore attacker Erika Eipp who shouldered that responsibility for the Minutewomen, leading the team with four goals on their way to an 11-8 victory over the Terriers.

“Sometimes people are looking for Katie (Ferris) to do it all the time, but a good defense is going to be able to really focus in on our key players,” UMass coach Angela McMahon said. “So we need other people to step up, and that’s when we saw Erika take on that role.”

With the team down 3-2 in the first half, Eipp scored the tying goal, then scored the go-ahead goal a couple minutes later.

“It really felt great to help the team come out with a win today,” Eipp said.

The team still got plenty of help from its usual contributors, as Rush finished with three goals and Ferris added a goal and two assists.

The first half of the game was a back-and-forth battle throughout. BU (0-3) took an early 3-1 lead in the first 10 minutes, but UMass (4-0) scored four unanswered goals (three by Eipp and one by Rush) to come back and take a 5-3 lead.

After her team fell behind, McMahon called a timeout and made sure her team stayed poised under pressure.

“I think it was just settling down and everybody taking their time when they had the ball,” McMahon said. “I think we were just a little rushed and we just needed to be a little bit better composed.”

The Terriers scored the last goal of the half and then tied the game within the first two minutes of the second half. However, the Minutewomen took back their lead just two minutes later on a free position goal by Guarino that sparked a four-goal run for UMass, which put the game out of reach for the Terriers.

McMahon said that a big difference between the first and second half was the team’s ability to execute on their shots against BU goaltender Caroline Meegan, who finished the game with nine saves, six of which came in the first half.

“Our shooting in the second half was definitely better than our first. The goalie was making some huge saves, but we were able to put our shots away in the second half.”

The Terriers played a very physical game, committing 30 penalties, compared to the Minutewomen’s 23. But McMahon said that UMass played well in the face of BU’s tough style of play.

“I think we handled it pretty well. Didn’t really necessarily dictate the game either way,” she said. “I think that’s how it’s going to be going forward against top teams, so we have to be ready for it.”

Jesse Mayfield-Sheehan can be reached at jmayfiel@umass.edu and can be followed on Twitter @jgms88.