Frustration haunts Minutemen in 5-3 loss to Boston College -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

UMass hockey drops 5-3 decision to No. 12 Boston College Friday night -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

UMass hockey prepares for nationally ranked Hockey East foes BC, Vermont -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Food scientist proposes way to improve health via breast milk -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Miles Teller and J.K. Simmons shine in ‘Whiplash’ -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Masculinity: A feminist’s perspective -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

UMass women’s basketball uses size and speed en route to its first win against Maine -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Why Melissa McBride is the best actor on television -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

‘Gienie’ in a bottle: Patriots, Browns, and Seahawks highlight week 12 picks -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

UMass women’s basketball secures first victory of the season against Maine -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Revisiting ‘The Hobbit’ trilogy as the final installment looms -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Establishing the rules of classroom attendance -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

UMass hockey’s Troy Power reflects as his 100th career game approaches -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Sophomore swimmer Meriza Werenski excelling in increased role -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

SGA senator plans survey on bigotry -

Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Minutemen fall to Akron 30-6 on Tuesday night MACtion -

Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Awaken your awareness to sleeping -

Wednesday, November 19, 2014

T-Swift v. Spotify: The battle over dying album sales -

Wednesday, November 19, 2014

The pumpkin spice pandemic -

Wednesday, November 19, 2014

UMass women’s basketball hosts Maine seeking first win -

Wednesday, November 19, 2014

UMass basketball edges URI in free-throw shooting battle, 70-67

Taylor C. Snow/Daily Collegian

Taylor C. Snow/Daily Collegian

The Massachusetts men’s basketball team outlasted a pesky Rhode Island offensive attack on Wednesday, edging the Rams 70-67 as a free throw battle broke out in a physical matchup at Mullins Center.

It wasn’t UMass’ (22-5, 9-4 Atlantic 10 Conference) prettiest display of basketball – the team shot just 28.9 percent from the floor in the first half and trailed by as many as 13 points – but the Minutemen found enough momentum offensively to pull away with the victory. Chaz Williams led the turnaround with 16 points, 11 of which came in the second frame.

Both teams combined for 31 fouls in the second half, and most possessions ended in free throws down the stretch. Ten of the Minutemen’s final 14 points came at the charity stripe, and the team finished with 31 free throw attempts to the Rams’ 18.

“It was great,” UMass coach Derek Kellogg said. “We’ve been shooting a lot of free throws in practice, so it’s good to see the stuff you work on carry over to the game and actually have some value.”

The Minutemen trailed 60-56 with 4:46 remaining. But a pair of free throws from Raphiael Putney and a layup from Derrick Gordon brought UMass even. Both teams exchanged free throws until Gordon cut across the lane and finished an acrobatic right-handed layup to make it 66-64 with 1:36 left.

Gordon, who finished with nine points on 4-of-10 shooting, didn’t shy away from big shots with the game still up in the air.

“My confidence keeps building and building every game,” he said. “I just look at it as: If I miss a shot, I’m gonna keep shooting. I’m not gonna miss a shot and get down on myself, because that’s when I start playing bad.”

Rhode Island (12-17, 3-11 A-10) gained possession of the ball with 24 seconds remaining, trailing 68-65. But guard Xavier Munford’s layup attempt was partially blocked by UMass center Cady Lalanne and ricocheted to Sampson Carter, effectively ending the game.

For stretches of time, it appeared as if the Minutemen were headed for trouble yet again. They led just 31-30 at halftime, and looked out of sync offensively.

But UMass ignited the second half, reeling off eight straight emphatic points in the first minute and 50 seconds. The run was highlighted by two Putney alley-oop dunks and a Williams 3-pointer. It was the type of quick-hitting offense that could quell concerns arisen from such a frustrating first half.

“At halftime, we were just talking about how we had to come out strong in the first four minutes,” Gordon said. “We threw the first punch and we capitalized on a lot of points we should’ve capitalized on in the first half.”

But the Rams returned fire, cutting the Minutemen’s lead to 46-45 with 11:52 remaining off a Gilvydas Biruta layup, setting up a close finish. He finished with 17 points and eight rebounds in 33 minutes.

UMass outrebounded Rhode Island 41-28, including 18 offensive rebounds. Gordon led the Minutemen with 10 rebounds from the guard spot, often keeping offensive possessions alive when Kellogg opted to play a smaller lineup with more guards on the floor.

“I thought we scrapped on the boards,” Kellogg said. “I did think the guys did a nice job of crashing the glass on both ends of the floor.”

The Minutemen held the Rams’ duo of scoring guards, Xavier Munford and E.C. Matthews, in check. Munford finished with 16 on 7-of-18 shooting while Matthews chipped in 14.

UMass returns to action on Saturday against Dayton at 11 a.m..

Mark Chiarelli can be reached at mchiarel@umass.edu and followed on Twitter @Mark_Chiarelli.