No indictment for Ferguson cop -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Chancellor addresses campus regarding grand jury decision in death of Michael Brown -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Northern Illinois hangs on against Ohio, Hunt carries Toledo to victory -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

SGA passes 10 motions at meeting Monday night -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Students and UMPD work together during the annual ‘Walk for Light’ -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

‘Conscious Consumer’ talk promotes business sustainability -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass hockey looks to rebound against Vermont following Saturday’s blowout at home -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass women’s soccer’s Sverrisdóttir balances a soccer career between two different countries -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

‘First Demo’ provides a fascinating glimpse of Fugazi in its infancy -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

My mental illness does define me (to an extent) -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

How to master multitasking -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

One Direction hints at newfound sophistication on ‘Four’ -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

TV on the Radio sounds rejuvenated on ‘Seeds’ -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass men’s club soccer fundraises its way to Memphis -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass hockey takes accountability and seeks redemption against Vermont on Tuesday -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Large group of males tries to forcibly enter a Hobart apartment over the weekend -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass forward Zach Coleman excels in increased role against Florida State -

Monday, November 24, 2014

SLIDESHOW: Basketball Hall of Fame Tip-Off Tournament -

Monday, November 24, 2014

CMASS holds ‘Half Empty or Half Full?: What is Sustainability?’ meeting -

Monday, November 24, 2014

UMass women’s basketball splits weekend series in Hospitality Hill Challenge -

Monday, November 24, 2014

UMass men’s lacrosse looks for revenge against Brown

Connor Mooney looks to close in on the goal during Monday’s 8-4 win over Harvard. (Alex Aritan/Daily Collegian)

Connor Mooney looks to close in on the goal during Saturday’s 8-4 win over Harvard. (Alex Aritan/Daily Collegian)

They say that history always finds a way of repeating itself.

Just one season ago, the Massachusetts men’s lacrosse team was 3-0 as it prepared to take on Brown. The Minutemen had wins over Army and Harvard, as well as an upset win over a nationally ranked team.
However, UMass (3-0) still feels as though it has unfinished business to deal with in a rematch with the Bears this Saturday in Providence.

“(This game) is going to be hard,” UMass coach Greg Cannella said. “If they spread the ball out like they did last year, it’s going to be hard. Last year, a bunch of different guys scored on us, so it’s going to be hard to stop. We only have one film on them, so they might do some things we aren’t prepared for. So we just have to stick to our principles.”

Brown (1-0) defeated the Minutemen 9-8 in overtime last season at Garber Field, after Daniel Mellynchuk put one past goalkeeper Zach Oliveri. Mellynchuk finished the game with a pair of goals, and attacker Kylor Bellistri finished with a hat trick.

The Bears opened up this season with a 13-6 win over Quinnipiac last Saturday. Brown had four players each score two goals, as well as freshman Dylan Molloy scoring four in his collegiate debut and Tim Jacob finishing with three. Molloy’s performance earned him Ivy League Rookie of the Week honors.

“Brown is a very good team that is very talented,” short-stick defenseman Ryan Izzo said. “We aren’t going to change the way we play. We have a great defensive package set up by our coaches – we are just going to go out, execute then and out-tough them up and down the field.”

The Minutemen have a freshman star of their own in Nick Mariano, who has scored nine goals throughout the first three games of the season. Cannella knows that with the emergence of Mariano, teams are going to start scheming defensively to try to shake UMass’ leading scorer out of his rhythm.

“Last year (Brown) prepared for guys like Connor Mooney, Matt Whippen and Grant Whiteway,” Cannella said. “Early in the season, a lot of teams base what they do off of last season and last year we didn’t have Mariano. They have three games of film to decide what he does well and how you can try to defend him.”

Mariano and company will have to face Brown goalkeeper Jack Kelly, who recorded 18 saves in the game against the Bobcats while allowing just six goals last Saturday.

Faceoff specialist Joe Calvello should have the advantage in that department, as the Bears were just 10-for-21 as a team in faceoffs in their season opener. Tommy Capone took the majority of the draws for Brown, winning nine of 18. Calvello has won 64.3 percent of the faceoffs he’s taken this year.

Oliveri will be heavily tested this weekend in the presence of the high-powered Brown offense. He has been solid for the Minutemen all season, recording a 6.53 goals against average.

“They’re very well coached,” Cannella said of Brown. “Defensively, they will be prepared for us. I’m sure they’ll try a bunch of different things on defense, especially some zone looks. They zoned Quinnipiac and they zoned us last year, so we have to be ready for that.”

The game is set to take place at 1 p.m. at Stevenson Field this Saturday.

Andrew Cyr can be reached at arcyr@umass.edu, and can be followed on Twitter @Andrew_Cyr.