Adam Liccardi found guilty in UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jackson Porter adapting well following switch to wide receiver -

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Minutemen look for Robert Kitching to anchor defensive line -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Closing arguments delivered in Adam Liccardi rape trial -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Early goals sink UMass men’s soccer in loss to Saint Peter’s -

Monday, August 31, 2015

UMass field hockey splits weekend matches with UNH and BU -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass women’s soccer struck by injuries, struggles offensively as it falls to No. 24 Rutgers -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass ranked in top 25 for LGBTQ students -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass football fall camp day five: Rodney Mills looks to continue bringing versatility to tight end position -

Friday, August 21, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse defeats Iona behind explosive offense

Cade Belisle/Daily Collegian

Cade Belisle/Daily Collegian

Two minutes, 29 seconds into Saturday’s game between the No. 10 Massachusetts women’s lacrosse team and Iona, Bernadette Gennaro scored the game’s first goal to give the Gaels an early 1-0 lead.

That was the only time Iona led in the contest, as twelve different scorers paced the Minutewomen to an eventual 19-6 victory.

The 19 goals scored by UMass (5-0) marked its largest scoring output of the season. Senior Sam Rush finished with four goals and two assists, sophomore Erika Eipp had three goals and one assist and senior Katie Ferris recorded two goals and two assists to lead the Minutewomen.

We have a lot of people who can score, so it was great for everyone to contribute today,” Eipp said.

Eipp, a transfer from Louisville, now has seven goals in her past two games following a four-goal performance against Boston University on Wednesday. UMass coach Angela McMahon said that the difference in Eipp’s play has come from reaching a level of comfort within the offense.

Coming in as a transfer to a new team, there can sometimes be a little bit of a transition in terms of figuring out your place on the team,” McMahon said. “But we’ve really been trying to encourage her to just be aggressive.

That’s what we’ve been seeing of her,” McMahon added. “She’s stepping up and making the most of her opportunities out there.”

McMahon said that the key to UMass’s offensive success on Saturday stemmed from the success found on the draw control, where the Minutewomen held a 21-6 advantage over Iona.

Freshman Hannah Murphy finished with a team-high seven face-off wins, while seniors Kelsey McGovern and Kelsey Sheridan had six and three, respectively. 

They just dominated on the draw (control) and that directly correlated with us having the ball on the offensive end,” McMahon said. “That was probably the most dominant statistic of the whole game.”

The Minutewomen opened up 3-1 lead on consecutive goals by Tanner Guarino, Ferris and Sam Rush. Leading 5-3 with less than 18 minutes left in the half, UMass used a 6-0 run to open up an 11-3 lead. The Minutewomen led 12-4 at halftime.

Ferris and Rush started the half with consecutive goals to extend the lead to 10. Mary Kate McCormick put Iona back to within single digits with a goal, but UMass answered with a 5-0 to lead 19-5 with 5:58 to play.

On defense, the Minutewomen forced 24 turnovers and allowed the Gaels (0-3) to muster up just 11 shots on goal. 

I thought we did a good job of putting pressure on them to make them uncomfortable and force them to either rush decisions or take bad angles,” McMahon said. “I just think we did a good job again in executing our game plan and being aggressive.”

After a 2-0 road trip this past week, UMass returns home to McGuirk Stadium on Saturday for a 3 p.m. matchup against New Hampshire.

Ferris named to Tewaaraton Watch List

Ferris was named as an early candidate for the 2014 Tewaartaton Award, which recognizes the top men’s and women’s lacrosse players in the NCAA, on Thursday.

This is the second straight season that Ferris was named to the 50-person initial watch list for the national award.

Ferris is UMass’ all-time leading goal-scorer with 268 career tallies.

Through five games this season, Ferris has scored 11 goals and has a team-high 14 assists for UMass.

Anthony Chiusano can be reached at achiusanoumass.edu and can be followed on Twitter @a_chiusano24.