Report: UMass football’s Todd Stafford arrested Saturday morning in Stamford, Connecticut -

Monday, July 20, 2015

UMass names Molly O’Mara newly-created associate director of athletics for communications and PR -

Monday, July 20, 2015

Baker approves state budget, UMass to receive $5.25 million less than legislature’s proposed figure -

Friday, July 17, 2015

UMass bathroom policy to provide comfort, safety for transgender and non-gender conforming students -

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Long-time UMass professor Normand Berlin, 83, dies -

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

UMass professor and poet James Tate dies at 71 -

Thursday, July 9, 2015

State legislators propose budget, UMass could receive almost $532 million -

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Cause of death determined for UMass student Chloe Malast -

Monday, July 6, 2015

Nick Mariano, Zach Oliveri transferring from UMass men’s lacrosse program -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four months after banning Iranian students from certain graduate programs, UMass announces new measures to ensure compliance with U.S. law -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Ryan Bamford uses online Q&A session to discuss UMass football conference search, renovation plans, cost of attendance -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Opening statements delivered, first witnesses called in second trial for alleged 2012 gang rape at UMass -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

UMass tennis splits two weekend conference matches

The Massachusetts tennis team had little time to recover after a tough 7-0 loss to Ivy League power Dartmouth on Feb. 26 as it headed into a very important weekend of Atlantic 10 tennis.

The Minutewomen rebounded in convincing fashion against Fordham, defeating the Rams 5-2. But followed that up with a 5-2 loss to George Washington on Saturday.

The Minutewomen dropping the doubles matches once again, conceding the doubles point to GW.

UMass couldn’t make up the ground in singles play and came away with just two victories at No. 3 and 4. Aarzoo Malik defeated Stephanie Wei in straight sets (6-3, 6-2), while Arielle Griffin did the same against Egle Jakuciunaite (6-3, 6-3). In fact, all the matches were decided in straight sets, but the Minutewomen found themselves on the losing end of the other four.

“We have some work to do particularly in doubles,” Dixon said. “Historically we have won the doubles point. We typically win matches by winning the doubles matches and then winning matches from the bottom up. This year we aren’t getting the production from our doubles and the bottom of the lineup is not doing what it needs to do to be successful.”

Against Fordham, UMass secured five of the six singles matches to put away its conference foe. Sonia Bokhari sparked the Minutewomen in singles play when she won No. 1 match against Elliesa Ball (6-2, 4-6, 6-3). Yuliana Motyl, Arielle Griffin, Aarzoo Malik and Chanel Glasper all won their singles matches as well.

“At Fordham, we won at the top,” Dixon said. “Against GW we were really outplayed. The team, I know, would like to play them again. I think that, given a few tweaks here or there, we might do a better job…[GW] came out with that kind of fire. We came out thinking that Fordham was the better of the two.”

UMass will have to make another quick recovery as it continues its non-conference slate on Saturday, March 8 in New York where they will face Columbia, a team which Dixon knows has a lot of talent.

“Columbia is going to be the hardest match we’ve played all year,” she said, “But things are going to turn around for this team. …Our schedule is front loaded. We’re going to end up with a very good record.”

Arthur Hayden can be reached at awhayden@umass.edu.