UMass crime alerts reveal reports of lewd acts -

Friday, August 22, 2014

UMass women’s soccer hopes added depth brings more consistency in 2014 -

Friday, August 22, 2014

UMass mourns death of alumnus and journalist James Foley -

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Kassan Messiah, Trey Seals to shoulder pass rushing responsibility for UMass football -

Thursday, August 21, 2014

UMass names Blake Frohnapfel as the starting quarterback -

Monday, August 18, 2014

Decision looms for Mark Whipple as UMass football looks to name starting quarterback -

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Former UMass star Marcel Shipp overseeing a strong running back competition -

Saturday, August 9, 2014

Former UMass basketball star Chaz Williams signs professional contract in Turkey, still eyeing NBA career -

Thursday, August 7, 2014

Minutemen anxious to display aggressive defense -

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

UMass football turns the page, excited for 2014 season -

Monday, August 4, 2014

UMass student struck and killed by vehicle Thursday night -

Friday, August 1, 2014

UMass receives anonymous $10.3 million gift -

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

UMass football summer coverage 2014 -

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UMass Rowing finishes NCAA Championships, ends year ranked No. 21 in the nation -

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Two UMass basketball alums to compete for a lofty prize in The Basketball Tournament -

Friday, May 23, 2014

Commencement Photos 2014 -

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Two arrested in relation to series of vandalism -

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

UMass Hospitality and Tourism Management hosts 40th annual Career Day

Seamon Kang/Daily Collegian

Seamon Kang/Daily Collegian

Recruiters from more than 65 companies will be at the University of Massachusetts on Wednesday for the 40th annual Hospitality and Tourism Management Career Day, the largest student-run hospitality career fair in New England.

The event will take place from 11:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Campus Center Auditorium. In addition to globally renowned Marriot, Hyatt and Starwood Hotels, there are 10 first-time companies registered for this year’s event. The HTM Career Day Committee is expecting faculty from Isenberg and the hospitality program as well as over 200 students to attend throughout the day.

“It’s a hospitality career fair but it’s technically open to all students,” said Marketing Chairperson of HTM Career Day Alissa Mendelsohn. She added that it is a great opportunity for students looking to get involved in the field of hospitality because recruiters will be seeking students of all levels of experience for internships and management-in-training programs.

The HTM Career Day Committee began planning for the event in the fall. The committee is composed of nine undergraduate students, who went through an interview process to earn their positions. Collectively, they are responsible for researching, contacting and registering companies, publicizing the event and hosting the annual senior reception.

Mohegan Sun and MGM Grand are two new companies that will be in attendance this year, giving students the opportunity to break into the casino industry.

“I think it’s great casinos are moving to Western Massachusetts because it will give students the opportunity to gain experience in casinos without having to leave the area,” Mendelsohn said. “In past years, many HTM students have been given internships and job placements either at Career Day or during corresponding interviews with recruiters they networked with at the event.”

Networking, internships and career fairs seem to be all the buzz on campus in recent weeks, but Mendelsohn said it’s nothing to stress about.

“Don’t be afraid to interact with recruiters because they are here to connect with up and coming industry professionals,” she said, adding that students should always “dress appropriately in business professional attire at any career event.”

“You want to make a good impression,” she said.

Junior HTM major Stephanie Colangelo said she is eager to attend the event to network with recruiters and see what options are available in HTM for postgraduates.

“I’ve attended the event for the past two years,” she said. “It’s a great learning experience. The face time you get with recruiters prepares you for interviews and gives you practice for when you are searching for a job or internship. It’s beneficial to students at any point in their college career.”

Taylor Gilmore can be reached at tgilmore@umass.edu.