Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UMass Rowing finishes NCAA Championships, ends year ranked No. 21 in the nation -

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Two UMass basketball alums to compete for a lofty prize in The Basketball Tournament -

Friday, May 23, 2014

Commencement Photos 2014 -

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Two arrested in relation to series of vandalism -

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Students push for relocation of the Center for Counseling and Psychological Health -

Monday, May 12, 2014

Video: No. 14 UMass WLAX ends season in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

No. 14 UMass women’s lacrosse season ends in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Sixth inning rally propels UMass past Dayton 7-2 -

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

McMahon, Ferris and McGovern: Not your usual transfer story -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Women’s lacrosse defeats Richmond 10-6 to win sixth straight A-10 Championship -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

No. 13 UMass women’s lacrosse knocks off Duquesne 16-3 to reach Atlantic 10 finals -

Friday, May 2, 2014

UMass one of 55 schools currently facing investigation over handling of sexual assault cases -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Two thefts reported at library -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Senior Columns 2013-2014 -

UMass Dining proposes major meal plan changes -

UMass baseball beats UConn for first time since 2007 -

MTV’s seemingly controversial new show proves to be ‘Faking It’ -

UMass Hospitality and Tourism Management hosts 40th annual Career Day

Seamon Kang/Daily Collegian

Seamon Kang/Daily Collegian

Recruiters from more than 65 companies will be at the University of Massachusetts on Wednesday for the 40th annual Hospitality and Tourism Management Career Day, the largest student-run hospitality career fair in New England.

The event will take place from 11:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Campus Center Auditorium. In addition to globally renowned Marriot, Hyatt and Starwood Hotels, there are 10 first-time companies registered for this year’s event. The HTM Career Day Committee is expecting faculty from Isenberg and the hospitality program as well as over 200 students to attend throughout the day.

“It’s a hospitality career fair but it’s technically open to all students,” said Marketing Chairperson of HTM Career Day Alissa Mendelsohn. She added that it is a great opportunity for students looking to get involved in the field of hospitality because recruiters will be seeking students of all levels of experience for internships and management-in-training programs.

The HTM Career Day Committee began planning for the event in the fall. The committee is composed of nine undergraduate students, who went through an interview process to earn their positions. Collectively, they are responsible for researching, contacting and registering companies, publicizing the event and hosting the annual senior reception.

Mohegan Sun and MGM Grand are two new companies that will be in attendance this year, giving students the opportunity to break into the casino industry.

“I think it’s great casinos are moving to Western Massachusetts because it will give students the opportunity to gain experience in casinos without having to leave the area,” Mendelsohn said. “In past years, many HTM students have been given internships and job placements either at Career Day or during corresponding interviews with recruiters they networked with at the event.”

Networking, internships and career fairs seem to be all the buzz on campus in recent weeks, but Mendelsohn said it’s nothing to stress about.

“Don’t be afraid to interact with recruiters because they are here to connect with up and coming industry professionals,” she said, adding that students should always “dress appropriately in business professional attire at any career event.”

“You want to make a good impression,” she said.

Junior HTM major Stephanie Colangelo said she is eager to attend the event to network with recruiters and see what options are available in HTM for postgraduates.

“I’ve attended the event for the past two years,” she said. “It’s a great learning experience. The face time you get with recruiters prepares you for interviews and gives you practice for when you are searching for a job or internship. It’s beneficial to students at any point in their college career.”

Taylor Gilmore can be reached at tgilmore@umass.edu.