Video monitoring equipment installed throughout Amherst in preparation for ‘Blarney’ -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Professor Neil Forbes receives $1.56 million grant to develop cancer-killing Salmonella -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

UMass, Trey Davis ready for Richmond and Kendall Anthony -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Milan Fashion Week mixes the old with the new -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Smartphone surge following historic net neutrality decision shows relationship between technology and consumers -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Tournament time: UMass women’s basketball faces St. Bonaventure in A-10 opener -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Bread & Butter brings local produce to Amherst’s breakfast scene -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

‘Blarney’ guest policy is too harsh and was announced too late -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Esho and Lalanne ready for one final show at Mullins Center -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Inside the Park with Marky Mark: March 3, 2015 -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Meet the 2015 SGA spring election candidates -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Years of dedication lead to breakout senior campaign for Zack LaRue -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Five simple steps to get your college diet on track -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Students head to State House, push for more public higher education funding -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Gabriel Schmitt hopes to improve UMass health services as student trustee -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

An outsider to the SGA, student trustee candidate Nicholas Vigneau says he brings a fresh perspective to the position -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Barrett/Barbosa ‘ready on day one’ -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Kristi Sefanoni pleased with UMass softball’s start to season -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Outsider candidates Rocco Giordano and Dhananjay (Danny) Mirlay Srinivas intent on shoring up student-administration relationship, getting more voices heard -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

UMass tennis wins its first conference match in weekend split -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse prepares for weekend matchup against UNH

Cade Belisle/Daily Collegian

Cade Belisle/Daily Collegian

The No. 10 Massachusetts women’s lacrosse team will continue its long-standing New England rivalry with New Hampshire this Saturday when it hosts the Wildcats at McGuirk Stadium.

“UNH in general is always a great rivalry for us because we’re such similar schools with so much history in all our sports playing against each other,” UMass coach Angela McMahon said.

The Minutewomen (5-0) are coming off of their highest offensive output of the season when they defeated Iona 19-6 last Saturday. After a full week off, UMass now prepares for a Wildcats (1-3) team, which they have defeated in each of the past three seasons.

According to McMahon, a persistent and balanced contribution on offense has been key in the Minutewomen’s early success.

“Especially against Iona, our offense was our first line of defense,” she said. “They were able to work to get the ball back so we were able to continue to get more shots off.”

While seniors Katie Ferris (11 goals) and Sam Rush (14 goals) led UMass with 25 and 16 total points respectively, McMahon said that the emergence of underclassmen is the difference on offense.

“(Ferris and Rush) are always going to put up numbers, but it’s easy to shut two people down,” she said. “So we need to have those multiple threats in order for us to be successful.”

In particular, Ferris said that sophomore Erika Eipp has been “great” in filling this role as a new offensive weapon. Eipp has scored seven goals this season, all coming in the Minutewomen’s past two games.

Despite UMass’ success in scoring goals, one area where McMahon said the team must improve on is turnovers, which have been a point of emphasis all season.

Although the Minutewomen won the turnover battle 24-18 on Saturday, McMahon said that the team has not yet reached a level of consistency that is needed.

“There’s been spurts where we’ve done a good job, but then we have a 10 minute let-down towards the end of the game,” she said. “That area of the game needs to be done on a full 60 minute basis.

“No matter if you are winning or losing the game, (having the ball) is one of the most important things, so we can’t just give it away.”

Ferris agreed with McMahon that committing fewer turnovers will be a vital factor in the matchup against UNH, and added that staying patient will improve the team’s results.

“We definitely need to fix some mistakes from last game and just keep improving on being more patient and moving the ball,” Ferris said. “I’m definitely satisfied with what we’ve done, but I think we can be better.”

As for approaching the Wildcats, McMahon said that UNH is also well balanced, led by juniors Laura Puccia and Kayleigh Hinkle with nine points apiece.

“Because they have multiple threats, it’s hard to focus in on one particular player,” McMahon said. “So our whole defense is going to have to play well as a unit together in order to stop their offense.”

Saturday’s game is scheduled to start at 3 p.m..

Homecoming for UNH coaches

When UMass looks across the sideline at the visiting UNH bench on Saturday, the team will be greeted with a trio of familiar faces in head coach Sarah Albrecht and assistant coaches Eileen Finn and Jesse O’Donnell.

Albrecht served as the associate head coach for the Minutewomen from 2011-12 and helped lead UMass to two Atlantic 10 championships. Finn was an assistant coach under Albrecht during these years and left for UNH with Albrecht.

O’Donnell also followed Albrecht after graduating from UMass in 2012. O’Donnell started for four years with the Minutewomen and was part of four A-10 championship teams.

“It’s exciting to welcome them back to campus and it’s always nice to see friendly faces on the sideline,” McMahon said. “They’re doing a very good job with their team in terms of implementing their system.”

Anthony Chiusano can be reached at achiusano@umass.edu and can be followed on Twitter @a_chiusano24.