UMass women’s soccer controls its own destiny as conference tournament approaches -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass soccer deploys new formation with Keys, Jess -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass calling on young swimmers to continue strong start to the year -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

WMU, Ohio, NIU pick up wins in busy MAC weekend -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

A comprehensive guide to the Ebola virus -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Trio of freshmen leading UMass hockey’s offense early in the season -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

A guide to comic collecting in the Pioneer Valley -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Letter: What’s behind the curtains on Birthright trips? -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

FBI director’s fear-mongering view of data encryption is off the mark -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass Permaculture Initiative to add three new programs -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Gov. Deval Patrick visits Amherst, awards $1.5 million grant for downtown development -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UHS offers more accessible vaccination clinics as flu season nears -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Gamard: Is gluten really bad or just a fad? -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Three new students appointed as SGA special assistants -

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Allymohamed scores game winner after suffering facial injury against Boston University -

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Loaded weekend against Marist, Keene State challenges UMass club hockey -

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

UMass football seeing improvement on both the offensive and defensive lines -

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Remembering Derek Jeter: an appraisal -

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Yellowcard switches things up on “Lift a Sail” -

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Campus Sustainability Day to take place Wednesday -

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

UMass men’s basketball falls on last-second layup to Saint Louis

Junior forward Maxie Esho takes it in for a reverse layup (Taylor Snow/Daily Collegian)

As Chaz Williams dribbled the ball up the court, he had one final heave to end Senior Day on a high note.

It came up just short.

Trailing by two with 3.4 seconds left, Williams sprinted up the court and let a 40-footer go, only to see it rebound off the front of the rim and fall to the ground, resulting in a 64-62 loss for the Massachusetts men’s basketball team to No. 17 Saint Louis.

“Me, as myself, and plus some players in the locker room feel like we missed an opportunity,” senior Sampson Carter said.

Jordair Jett was the hero in Sunday’s game, hitting the game-winning layup with 3.4 seconds left, lifting the Billikens to the victory, stunning the sellout crowd of 9,493 at Mullins Center.

As Jett gathered the ball outside the 3-point arc, he made a move around Williams and as he approached the basket, the lane seemingly opened up, allowing him to finish an uncontested layup that proved to be the difference in the game.

“I thought our guys competed and played well for 38 minutes, 37 and a half minutes,” UMass coach Derek Kellogg said. “We just didn’t make the right plays down the stretch. I thought they executed a little better than we did on both ends of the floor.”

It was nip and tuck throughout much of the second half, with neither team really pulling away. The Minutemen (23-7, 10-6 Atlantic 10) opened up the largest lead of the second half when they went up 56-49 with just under six minutes remaining.

Created with Admarket’s flickrSLiDR.

But Saint Louis (26-5, 13-3 A-10) responded late in the game. The Billikens ended the game on a 15-6 run, snapping a three-game losing streak and winning the conference regular season title outright.

“I was actually a little angry, to a certain extent,” Kellogg said. “It’s one of those games that they kind of took from us, that we had control of it, we had plays that we normally make, but we didn’t do that.”

The loss drops UMass from fourth to sixth in the final standings, with its first game in the A-10 Tournament taking place Thursday night at 9 p.m. against Rhode Island.

The Minutemen spotted Saint Louis an early 9-2 lead, forcing UMass coach Derek Kellogg to call a quick timeout.  UMass answered with a 12-2 run to open up a three-point lead.

Neither team opened up a lead much larger than three or four points from that point forward. The Minutemen took a 35-33 lead into halftime, but as both teams came out to start the second half, poor shooting took center stage.

Through the first seven minutes of the half, the Billikens and UMass combined for 11 points before the Minutemen went on a mini-run to open up their largest lead of the game with five minutes, 50 seconds remaining.

Williams led all scorers with 20 points and nine assists, with his first helper making him the all-time leader in assists in Minutemen history. Jett led the way offensively for SLU, finishing with 17 points, including the final six points for the Billikens.

Following the game, despite a somber mood from Williams and Carter, the determination to bounce back and look ahead to the A-10 Tournament was the main thing on UMass’ mind.

“It’s been a while since UMass had a conference title,” Williams said. “And that’s something we want to go out with. Just making the tournament or being in the Barclays (Center) isn’t good enough for us.”

Patrick Strohecker can be reached at pstrohec@umass.edu and followed on Twitter @P_Strohecker.