UMass women’s lacrosse draws Jacksonville in first round of 2015 NCAA tournament -

Sunday, May 3, 2015

UMass baseball’s ninth inning rally falls short in series finale with Richmond -

Sunday, May 3, 2015

UMass softball eliminated from A-10 playoff contention as 2015 season ends -

Sunday, May 3, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse takes home seventh straight A-10 championship -

Sunday, May 3, 2015

UMass tight end Jean Sifrin goes undrafted in NFL draft, signs with Indianapolis Colts as undrafted free agent -

Saturday, May 2, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse topped by Towson in CAA title game -

Saturday, May 2, 2015

UMPD investigating burglary in Washington Hall -

Saturday, May 2, 2015

Marty Meehan’s appointment as UMass president comes as little surprise -

Saturday, May 2, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse advances to A-10 championship with 12-3 win over George Mason -

Friday, May 1, 2015

Not done yet: UMass men’s soccer’s Matt Keys and hockey’s Troy Power still pursuing pro dreams after graduation -

Friday, May 1, 2015

UMass Lowell Chancellor Marty Meehan elected president of UMass system -

Friday, May 1, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse upsets No. 1 seed Fairfield to advance to CAA championship -

Thursday, April 30, 2015

Walk-off home run sinks UMass softball in pitching duel with UConn -

Thursday, April 30, 2015

UMass rowing looks to defend A-10 title Saturday in New Jersey -

Thursday, April 30, 2015

UMass search committee names two finalists for system president -

Thursday, April 30, 2015

Senior Columns 2014-2015 -

Thursday, April 30, 2015

Krauthammer critiques Obama doctrine -

Thursday, April 30, 2015

UMass Baseball goes into weekend on a major skid -

Thursday, April 30, 2015

‘Mad Men’ remains the best of the best -

Thursday, April 30, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse set for rematch with Fairfield in CAA tournament -

Thursday, April 30, 2015

UMass tennis falls to powerful Columbia squad

Julia Cardillo/Daily Collegian

Julia Cardillo/Daily Collegian

Coming off a weekend where they split their two conference matches against George Washington and Fordham, the Massachusetts women’s tennis team continued a grueling road trip against Columbia in New York on Saturday, March 8.

Before the match, UMass coach Judy Dixon knew it would be a tough contest, saying, “Columbia is going to be the hardest match we’ve played all year.” Her prediction proved to be somewhat accurate as the Minutewomen lost 5-2, however, not without a few bright spots.     Freshman Aarzoo Malik, a new recruit out of New Delhi, India, secured one of UMass’ two victories on the day in the No. 3 singles match. She defeated Columbia’s Vivian Cheng in straight sets 6-1, 6-2. Malik has the best win percentage on the team this season, boasting an impressive 7-2 record in dual matches.

Anna Woosley, another recruit from across the pond, provided the Minutewomen with their other victory just below Malik in No. 4 singles. Woosley, who hails from Sussex, England, defeated the Lions’ Tiana Takenaga also in straight sets, 6-4, 7-5. She is one of three athletes on the team, alongside Malik and Chanel Glasper, to have a winning record in dual matches this season (5-4).

Dixon had only praise for the pair of international freshmen.

“They’ve been outstanding” Dixon said. “It really bodes well for the future. I’m really impressed with their play in singles.”

Dixon, however, has not been impressed with her team’s doubles play and Saturday’s performance was a familiar scenario as the Minutewomen were swept in doubles once again, before dropping the No. 1 and 2 singles matchups. The victories in the No. 3 and 4 spots kept UMass in the match, but neither Arielle Griffin nor Jessica Podlofsky could secure a victory in the No. 5 or 6 spot, respectively, despite each match going the full three sets.

Podlofsky, who tied the UMass record for most career singles victories earlier this season in a match against Bryant, hasn’t secured the record outright since that match. Since her record-tying victory on Feb. 9, she is 0-5 in singles matches, with four of the losses coming in straight sets. The team has posted a 2-3 record in that time span.

Despite their recent struggles, Dixon remained optimistic after her team’s performance against a formidable Columbia squad, especially with the context that the Lions are ranked No. 43 in the nation.

“Sometimes we lose a match where we played our absolute best” she said. “I have a lot of hope for us as we head into the last half of our season. We have now a team that believes that they can play with the best teams in the country…I’m still trying to figure out our doubles combinations…but I think our singles line-up is pretty well-established.”

Podlofsky and the rest of the UMass tennis team will look to get back on track over Spring Break as it travels to Charleston, S.C. for a series of three matches. It will take on Georgia Southern on March 18, the College of Charleston the day after, and finally Tulane on March 21.

Arthur Hayden can be reached at awhayden@umass.edu.