Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Ryan Bamford uses online Q&A session to discuss UMass football conference search, renovation plans, cost of attendance -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Opening statements delivered, first witnesses called in second trial for alleged 2012 gang rape at UMass -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

UMass Board of Trustees approves rise in tuition, student fees -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Former Minutewoman Quianna Diaz-Patterson named to Puerto Rican national softball team -

UMass rowing’s Jim Dietz inducted into CRCA Hall of Fame -

Jury selection begins Monday in second gang rape trial -

Monday, June 15, 2015

Students turn attention to state legislators as decision on UMass budget looms -

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Alumna and next director of Brooklyn Museum Anne Pasternak ‘created her own path’ -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

UMass graduate crowned head of 600-year-old Indian kingdom -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Committee recommends UMass increase tuition, student fees for in-state undergraduates -

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Darrice Griffin named UMass’ senior associate athletic director for internal operations/senior woman administrator -

Report: UMass football will host Mississippi State in 2016 -

Monday, June 8, 2015

UMass tennis falls to powerful Columbia squad

Julia Cardillo/Daily Collegian

Julia Cardillo/Daily Collegian

Coming off a weekend where they split their two conference matches against George Washington and Fordham, the Massachusetts women’s tennis team continued a grueling road trip against Columbia in New York on Saturday, March 8.

Before the match, UMass coach Judy Dixon knew it would be a tough contest, saying, “Columbia is going to be the hardest match we’ve played all year.” Her prediction proved to be somewhat accurate as the Minutewomen lost 5-2, however, not without a few bright spots.     Freshman Aarzoo Malik, a new recruit out of New Delhi, India, secured one of UMass’ two victories on the day in the No. 3 singles match. She defeated Columbia’s Vivian Cheng in straight sets 6-1, 6-2. Malik has the best win percentage on the team this season, boasting an impressive 7-2 record in dual matches.

Anna Woosley, another recruit from across the pond, provided the Minutewomen with their other victory just below Malik in No. 4 singles. Woosley, who hails from Sussex, England, defeated the Lions’ Tiana Takenaga also in straight sets, 6-4, 7-5. She is one of three athletes on the team, alongside Malik and Chanel Glasper, to have a winning record in dual matches this season (5-4).

Dixon had only praise for the pair of international freshmen.

“They’ve been outstanding” Dixon said. “It really bodes well for the future. I’m really impressed with their play in singles.”

Dixon, however, has not been impressed with her team’s doubles play and Saturday’s performance was a familiar scenario as the Minutewomen were swept in doubles once again, before dropping the No. 1 and 2 singles matchups. The victories in the No. 3 and 4 spots kept UMass in the match, but neither Arielle Griffin nor Jessica Podlofsky could secure a victory in the No. 5 or 6 spot, respectively, despite each match going the full three sets.

Podlofsky, who tied the UMass record for most career singles victories earlier this season in a match against Bryant, hasn’t secured the record outright since that match. Since her record-tying victory on Feb. 9, she is 0-5 in singles matches, with four of the losses coming in straight sets. The team has posted a 2-3 record in that time span.

Despite their recent struggles, Dixon remained optimistic after her team’s performance against a formidable Columbia squad, especially with the context that the Lions are ranked No. 43 in the nation.

“Sometimes we lose a match where we played our absolute best” she said. “I have a lot of hope for us as we head into the last half of our season. We have now a team that believes that they can play with the best teams in the country…I’m still trying to figure out our doubles combinations…but I think our singles line-up is pretty well-established.”

Podlofsky and the rest of the UMass tennis team will look to get back on track over Spring Break as it travels to Charleston, S.C. for a series of three matches. It will take on Georgia Southern on March 18, the College of Charleston the day after, and finally Tulane on March 21.

Arthur Hayden can be reached at awhayden@umass.edu.

You must be logged in to post a comment.