UMass athletic director John McCutcheon to take job at UCSB -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

UMass encourages responsible celebrating, modifies guest policy ahead of Super Bowl -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

UMass basketball returns home to Mullins Center with matchup against Dayton -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Microsoft introduces Windows 10, Codename Spartan and the HoloLens -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Cheap gas, a speed bump for the planet -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Friday night a chance at redemption for UMass hockey -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Beautiful focuses on body image and loving oneself -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Minutewomen set to redeem themselves against the Bonnies -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

UMass basketball seeks more consistency out of its veterans -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

UMass hockey hopes to ride momentum into Friday’s matchup against Boston University -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Tips for maintain and transitioning to a healthier lifestyle -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

MASSPIRG urges McDonalds to stop purchasing meat raised with antibiotics -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

How to avoid, treat and prevent Computer Vision Syndrome as a college student -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Obama and Modi strengthen ties between U.S. and India -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

UMass receives research honor from the Carnegie Foundation -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Björk gets personal on breakup album, ‘Vulnicura’ -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Islamophobia is a form of racism that needs to be stopped -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

UMass Dining nominated for Seafood Champion Award -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Why UMass basketball isn’t a good brand of basketball -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

BLOG: Joseph Widmar commits to UMass hockey -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Local fans excited to see UMass basketball back in NCAA Tournament

Taylor C. Snow/Daily Collegian

Taylor C. Snow/Daily Collegian

As the Massachusetts men’s basketball team paraded into Amherst Brewing Company on Sunday evening to hear its name announced as one of the teams in the NCAA Tournament field, fans lined both sides of the hallway, giving them a round of applause.

Those fans understood what this team went through this season; a grueling non-conference schedule and then the even more difficult grind of Atlantic 10 play. And as UMass’ name blinked across the screen the first time as a glitch on CBS’ part, and then the second time for real, they celebrated the moment just as emotionally as the players and coaches did.

“It was exciting,” Tom Kennedy said. “I’ve been a season ticket holder for almost 20 years and we lived through the great years and then some lean years and now it’s awesome again.”

If you were to ask any of the players on UMass this season what motivated them, the first answer would be to make it to the NCAA Tournament. The second response: the fans.

Fans packed Mullins Center for many of the Minutemen’s home games this season, whether it was at 11 a.m. against Louisiana State, on a week night matchup or for a top-notch A-10 program, the “Mullins Maniacs” showed up and were loud.

There were three sellouts this season at Mullins Center — Dec. 28 against Providence, Feb. 21 versus Virginia Commonwealth and March 9 against No. 17 Saint Louis — and one additional sellout at the MassMutual Center in Springfield against Brigham Young. So for the fans to have the opportunity to celebrate this moment with the same team that they supported all season was just as special for them as it was for the team.

“It’s just awesome to be surrounded by so many UMass fans,” David Morin said. “I don’t think anybody was expecting them to be the No. 6 seed, but they really earned it and as much as nobody really expected it, they deserved it.”

That same passion that was often on display at Mullins Center was also on present in some road games. Fans showed up in force at games in Philadelphia, Pa., Washington, D.C., Charleston, S.C., and in Brooklyn, N.Y., for the Atlantic 10 Tournament.

Now, with their first game in Raleigh, N.C., one of the closer locations, it will be up to the fans to once again show their support for the Minutemen as they take the floor on Friday afternoon, officially ending a 16-year Tournament drought.

“My friend just booked his tickets and I’m thinking about it,” Kennedy said. “We have a buddy that lives (in Raleigh), so I may go.”

Despite the fact that UMass landed in the Midwest Region, arguably the toughest of the four, and are a trendy pick to be upset in the second round, don’t expect the diehard fans to sell their team short.

“I expect to see them make an appearance in the (third) round and I hope they give Duke a hell of a run,” Morin said. “I’m hoping they can pull out a W (against Duke), then they’re unstoppable.”

Stephen Hewitt and Mark Chiarelli contributed to this report. Patrick Strohecker can be reached at pstrohec@umass.edu and followed on Twitter @P_Strohecker.