UMass football fall camp: Jackson Porter adapting well following switch to wide receiver -

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Minutemen look for Robert Kitching to anchor defensive line -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Closing arguments delivered in Adam Liccardi rape trial -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Early goals sink UMass men’s soccer in loss to Saint Peter’s -

Monday, August 31, 2015

UMass field hockey splits weekend matches with UNH and BU -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass women’s soccer struck by injuries, struggles offensively as it falls to No. 24 Rutgers -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass ranked in top 25 for LGBTQ students -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass football fall camp day five: Rodney Mills looks to continue bringing versatility to tight end position -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Route 9 Diner to reopen under new ownership -

Friday, August 21, 2015

UMass tennis wins two of three over spring break

Spring break week offered little rest for the University of Massachusetts tennis team as UMass played three matches in as many days in Charleston, S.C. starting on Wednesday, March 19.

In the Minutewomen’s last match of the busy week, they took on Tulane on Friday. UMass caught a bit of a break coming in as injuries forced the Green Wave to forfeit the No. 3 doubles and No. 6 singles matches with only five players available. The advantage of needing only one doubles victory to secure the overall doubles point proved slight, as Arielle Griffin and Aarzoo Malik were leading the No. 1 doubles match when Sonia Bokhari and Chanel Glasper finished their match, securing the necessary win at No. 2 doubles (8-5).

“When we played Tulane, our doubles were quite good” UMass coach Judy Dixon said. “I feel like we’ve got the right combinations and the right players out there.”

After Griffin secured her second singles victory of the week, a No. 4 singles win against Tulane’s Emily Dvorak (6-0,6-1), the Minutewomen led 3-0 and looked poised to take the match, however, the Green Wave would not go quietly. Tulane rattled off three victories in the top three singles spots to tie the match, leaving the final result up to their own Margaux Hyman and none other than Jessica Podlofsky in the No. 5 spot.

In dramatic fashion, Podlofsky once again battled back from a first set loss to defeat her Tulane opponent 3-6, 6-0, 6-3, securing the victory for the Minutewomen and finishing her tremendous week with a personal 3-0 record.

“This was a really good win for us, a really solid win” Dixon said. “Coming away from this spring trip, I feel we got what we needed. We played outdoor matches and won two of three.”

Minutewomen cruise by Georgia Southern

In UMass’ second match of the week against Georgia Southern, it bounced back from the previous day’s loss in a big way, defeating the Eagles 6-1.

Doubles competition proved difficult for the Minutewomen all season long, but, led by the No. 1 pairing of Bokhari and Glasper, UMass won all three doubles matches on Thursday, securing the doubles point, and setting the tone for a dominant performance. Bokhari, a senior, also cruised to a win at No. 2 singles over Georgia Southern’s Jordana Klein (6-0, 6-0).

Podlofsky wrapped up the afternoon with another gutsy victory, fighting back, after dropping the first set, to defeat Giulai Riepe (2-6, 6-1, 6-4). Malik, Griffin, and Glasper also posted singles victories.

UMass drops first match of busy week

Entering the week, Podlofsky was still looking for her first victory since Feb. 9 when she tied Michelle Spiess for the UMass record for career singles victories, going 0-5 in that stretch.

In the team’s first match of the week, a showdown with the College of Charleston, Podlofsky secured the career singles record outright with a straight set victory over Grace Baker (6-4, 4-3). Her victory was the lone bright spot for the Minutewomen that day, providing the squad with their only victory as part of a 1-6 loss.

Dixon cited the sudden jump to outdoor play as a factor in the team’s early-week struggles.

“We had played four hours outdoors in the last four months,” she said. “It’s harder to play outside. It takes more energy…I feel like we played some good first sets and then we ran out of gas.”

She also remarked on Podlofsky’s record-breaking performance and her ability to get over the hump.

“I feel like it was a relief to her”, she said. “She knows know that she’s got it back…The importance of her playing well on this team cannot be understated.”

The added outdoor experience, a hard thing to come by in snowy Amherst, will prove helpful for the Minutewomen as they look to carry their momentum into the later part of their schedule with significantly more outdoor matches scheduled, including their next match against Quinnipiac in Hamden, Conn. on April 2.

Arthur Hayden can be reached at awhayden@umass.edu.