Adam Liccardi found guilty in UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jackson Porter adapting well following switch to wide receiver -

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Minutemen look for Robert Kitching to anchor defensive line -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Closing arguments delivered in Adam Liccardi rape trial -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Early goals sink UMass men’s soccer in loss to Saint Peter’s -

Monday, August 31, 2015

UMass field hockey splits weekend matches with UNH and BU -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass women’s soccer struck by injuries, struggles offensively as it falls to No. 24 Rutgers -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass ranked in top 25 for LGBTQ students -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass football fall camp day five: Rodney Mills looks to continue bringing versatility to tight end position -

Friday, August 21, 2015

No. 10 UMass women’s lax suffers first loss of the season

13416464765_826101f414_b

Cade Belisle/Daily Collegian

In the No. 10 Massachusetts women’s lacrosse team’s first nine games of the season, the Minutewomen found themselves behind on the scoreboard for a combined total of 15 minutes en route to a 9-0 start.

However, Tuesday night’s game against No. 7 Northwestern (5-3) was a different story as UMass (9-1) found itself trailing less than two minutes into the game, as the Wildcats cruised to an easy 10-6 victory at McGuirk Stadium.

The loss was the 12th straight defeat suffered at the hands of Northwestern and it also snapped the Minutewomen’s 31-game winning streak at home.

“At the end of the day, we just didn’t execute when we needed to,” UMass coach Angela McMahon said. “We had the looks there, but we just didn’t finish it and that’s something that we’re going to need to do going forward.”

The 10 goals allowed on Tuesday were the most allowed by UMass all season, as the Wildcats put 20 shots on goal.

“I think they’re a really good team at exploiting our weaknesses,” senior defender Kelsey McGovern said. “They moved the ball pretty well and everyone is a threat on offense.”

Northwestern opened up with a 3-0 lead in the game’s first 15 minutes behind goals by Christy Turner, Kat DeRonda and Kara Mupo. Sam Rush finally put the Minutewomen on the board with her 31st goal of the season with 13 minutes, 45 seconds left to play in the first half.

Rush, the team leader in goals, tallied another score with 5:51 left in the first half, but the Wildcats struck two more times and held a 5-2 advantage at the half, which was UMass’ first halftime deficit of the season.

After the game, Rush credited Northwestern’s “high-pressure defense” with limiting the Minutewomen’s – and in particular, senior attacker Katie Ferris’ – scoring opportunities.

“(Ferris) was getting face-guarded, so with her pretty much out of the game, I don’t think we adjusted well enough to put points on the board,” Rush said. “I wish we could have moved the ball quicker.”

Ferris, who leads UMass with 46 points for the season, finished Tuesday’s game with one assist and no shots on goal.

The second half also opened up with a 3-0 Northwestern run, extending the Wildcats’ lead to 8-2 with 24:39 left to play.

The Minutewomen finished the game with a 5-2 run behind goals from senior Tanner Guarino, junior Courtney McGrath, Rush (3) and senior Melissa Carelli.

McMahon said that although “the execution was clearly lacking” for the majority of Tuesday’s game, she was encouraged by the late offensive success.

“There were signs of us improving today by the way we played,” McMahon said. “We just couldn’t do that the whole game.”

She also said it was a positive sign going forward as the team will open up Atlantic 10 play next week.

“Our resiliency was great in terms of how we battled back and narrowed the gap a little bit,” McMahon said. “I’m sure we’re going to face some more adversity with our tough conference schedule coming up and with targets on our back for that.”

UMass will begin its A-10 play on Friday, April 4, when it hosts LaSalle at McGuirk Stadium.

Anthony Chiusano can be reached at achiusano@umass.edu and can be followed on Twitter @a_chiusano24.