UMass baseball swept by Richmond in road trip

Rehan Talat/Daily Collegian
Rehan Talat/Daily Collegian

After taking two of three games from La Salle to open Atlantic 10 play, the Massachusetts baseball team seemed like it was rounding into shape.

Looking to put an ugly start behind them, the Minutemen won back to back games for the first time all season, including a come-from-behind 7-6 win over the Explorers in extra innings.

The momentum from their first series win did not carry over; however, as UMass lost all three games against host Richmond this weekend, capped off by an 8-5 letdown Saturday afternoon.

The Minutemen (3-16, 2-4 A-10) had a chance to salvage one win from the weekend series in the finale. After trailing 4-0, UMass rallied to take a 5-4 lead in the top of the eighth, fueled by a two-run home run from freshman Mike Geannelis in the sixth and an RBI double from Dylan Begin in the eighth.

But Richmond (11-12-1, 4-2 A10) responded with four more runs in the bottom of the frame, taking an 8-5 lead it would hold for good. Three of the Spiders runs in the inning were unearned, and the biggest salvo came from catcher Cory Moheit, whose two run double provided Richmond with all the insurance it needed.

Dan Martinson picked up his second save of the season for the Spiders, throwing a hitless ninth.

The Minutemen looked poised to end the weekend on a good note before the disastrous bottom of the eighth. Doug Kraeger reached on an error and advanced to third to start the inning, and the next batter, Matt Dacey, drove him in to tie the game. Later in the inning, the Spiders used a double steal to move runners on to second and third, where they were promptly doubled home by Moheit.

“It shows some good character that we were able to come back and take the lead, but we gave them extra outs.” UMass coach Mike Stone said. “That can’t happen when you’re up 5-4 with six outs to go.”

The sixth inning home run from Geannelis was the first of his college career. Stone said he has been impressed with his approach at the plate this season.

“He’s got good pop in his bat, is well balanced and selective,” he said of Geannelis. “Overall, he’s a much more mature hitter than we expected him to be (as a freshman).”

Southpaw Aaron Plunkett had a solid start on the mound for UMass. He pitched into the sixth, allowing three earned runs while walking only one.

Minutemen rocked to end twin bill

After a back and forth game to start the series, UMass was destroyed in the second half of Friday’s action, falling 10-1 to Richmond.

“We beat ourselves.” Stone said. “We just gave them too many extra outs and took too many bad at bats.”
Zak Sterling threw a gem for the Spiders, going 71/3 innings and striking out 6 while walking none and allowing only three hits. He improved to 3-1 on the season.

The Minutemen were limited to three hits and only six total base runners. It was their sixth time being held to one run or fewer this season.

Richmond had a host of players fuel the offensive outburst. Lead-off man Tanner Stanley was 4-for-5 and scored three runs, cleanup hitter Matt Dacey had three hits and four RBIs and first baseman Kraeger added three more RBIs.

“I’m surprised it has been this difficult for us to win games with this club.” Stone said “But we have a lot of season left.”

UMass loses opener

A pair of rallies weren’t enough as the Minutemen dropped the series opener against Richmond, 6-4.

The Spiders opened a 2-0 lead in the bottom of the first inning on a Matt Dacey RBI single. UMass answered in the top of the second after Walsh drove in a runner with his first hit of the day and Nik Campero’s RBI double tied the game in the fifth.

But Richmond had an answer for every rally. Two unearned runs in the bottom of the fifth allowed it to regain a 4-2 advantage. When UMass scored in the seventh and eighth innings to make it 5-4, the Spiders answered again with an insurance run off the bat of Kraeger.

Ryan Cook pitched a perfect ninth to complete a multi-inning save for the Spiders. It was his fourth save of the year,.

Ross Gienieczko can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @RossCollegian.