Front to Back: Week of Oct. 27, 2014 -

Friday, October 31, 2014

Blog Post: What the FAC -

Friday, October 31, 2014

Halloween Special Issue -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UM alumni hopeful for their up-and-coming snowboard company -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass hockey looks to end road trip on a high note with weekend series against Maine -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

#WrongDoor: Why I am not surprised? -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

B-horror films: hits and misses of the nightmare genre -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Appreciating campus workers -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass hosts Ebola panel to address concerns of the public -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass Democrats hope to get more students connected -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

The broke college student horror comic buyers guide -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass Republican Club: Not just for Republicans -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

To live and die and live again -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Five reasons why Halloween is the best holiday -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

The anatomy of a horror game -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Berger has first shot at securing starting role with UMass basketball -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Robert Johnson’s deal with the devil -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Humans vs. Zombies: UMass’ most dangerous game -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Group Halloween costumes inspired by the roles of Hollywood icons -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

A haunting at UMass -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass softball sweeps doubleheader against Yale

(Cade Belisle/Daily Collegian)

(Cade Belisle/Daily Collegian)

For the first time this season, the Massachusetts softball team played at home, and it proved to be a successful return for the Minutewomen.

UMass swept Yale in a doubleheader 6-1 and 3-1  in their return to Sortino Field on Wednesday.

Pitcher Tara Klee led the Minutewomen (5-14) to the 6-1 victory in the second game with a strong five-inning outing, allowing only one run on four hits. UMass coach Kristi Stefanoni said that she was waiting for this kind of performance from Klee.

“This was the Tara that we’ve been waiting to show up,” she said. “This is what we usually see in her workouts, and we told her that it’s gonna take a couple of games for her to gain some confidence. Her changeup was on today, and when her changeup is on, there’s no stopping her.”

The offensive trio of Quianna Diaz-Patterson, Taylor Carbone and Lindsey Webster gave the offense a well-needed spark, registering a combined nine hits in 11 at-bats, including four doubles and a run-batted-in.

(Cade Belisle/Daily Collegian)

(Cade Belisle/Daily Collegian)

After having their past four games canceled, Stefanoni believes these two wins will provide momentum for her team as they continue conference play.

“We’ve been sitting on our rears not being able to play, so this is a great momentum and confidence builder for us,” Stefanoni said. “For us to have 13 hits in this game and 10 hits in the first one and totally surpass what we’ve done in the past offensively is great.”

It was a day where emotions were running high for UMass as this was the first home opener in 34 years without Elaine Sortino in the dugout, Diaz-Patterson said it really sunk in right before the game started.

`“I know when we did the moment of silence it hit me and some of the other players,” she said. “We’re playing for Coach and although she’s not physically here, I can hear her in heaven and she’s very happy about these two wins.”

Before the game, Stefanoni told her team that this was for their former leader and knows that everything her team does is for Sortino.

“On top of the jitters that come with the home opener when everyone is trying to show what they can do, these players want to do well for Elaine and honor her in the best way possible,” she said. “Emotions were high, especially for me and (former player and current assistant coach) Danielle (Henderson).”

(Cade Belisle/Daily Collegian)

(Cade Belisle/Daily Collegian)

Minutewomen top Yale in game one

In the first game of the doubleheader, the Minutewomen came out victorious over the Bulldogs 3-1 behind a complete game from pitcher Caroline Raymond.

After allowing a first inning solo home run to Yale (3-19) shortstop Brittany Labbadia, Raymond (3-7) settled in and was dominant on the hill, surrendering only one run on four hits while recording five strikeouts.

Despite trailing 1-0, UMass tied it up in the bottom half of the inning on an RBI triple by Webster. She later added the game-winning RBI in the fifth inning when she knocked in Cote Clark on a single.

The Minutewomen scored an insurance run in the bottom of the sixth inning when Clark singled in Mikayla Panko to give her team the 3-1 lead. Eight of the nine starters registered a hit, with Clark and Webster getting two hits apiece.

Jason Kates can be reached at jkates@umass.edu.