UMass notebook: Kitching shines, West Springfield’s Dan Jonah catches touchdown -

Saturday, April 18, 2015

A.J. Doyle looks forward to contributing in a tight end role -

Saturday, April 18, 2015

Three up three down: Quarterback, defensive line play in focus for UMass -

Saturday, April 18, 2015

Mark Whipple: UMass football’s spring game a successful night -

Friday, April 17, 2015

A fan’s guide to the UMass football spring game -

Friday, April 17, 2015

UMass softball splits doubleheader against Marist in walk-off win -

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Inside the Park with Marky Mark: April 16, 2015 -

Thursday, April 16, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse returns to Garber Field for crucial matchup with Drexel -

Thursday, April 16, 2015

New partnership to unite university students and town of Amherst -

Thursday, April 16, 2015

UMass baseball wins fifth straight -

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Why “Last Week Tonight” is the new champion of sanity in fake news -

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Letter: Appalled at local police’s poor training on domestic violence -

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Knitting, Crocheting and Needlework Club sparks motivation for crafty students -

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Divest UMass makes strides at Board of Trustees meeting -

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Do we need the Apple Watch? -

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Jules Crittenden speaks on war correspondence to ROTC cadets -

Thursday, April 16, 2015

UMass pitching staff lifts team -

Thursday, April 16, 2015

UMass tennis begins its bid for the Atlantic 10 title -

Thursday, April 16, 2015

UMass rowing returns home for the first time this spring season -

Thursday, April 16, 2015

UMass travels to Philly to take on A-10’s worst ranked St. Joseph’s -

Thursday, April 16, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse falls to Towson despite strong defensive performance

Alex Aritan/Daily Collegian

Alex Aritan/Daily Collegian

Trailing 6-5 with 13 seconds left in the game, the Massachusetts men’s lacrosse team had the ball exactly where it wanted it: in the stick of Nick Mariano.

The freshmen, who already has one game-winning goal this season, calmly attacked the cage with only one thought on his mind: sending the game to overtime.

This time, however, Mariano came up short as Towson goalkeeper Tyler White watched the ball fall right into his webbing to secure the win for the Tigers.

“I just wanted the ball in that situation,” Mariano said. “I figured I would just try to go hard to the cage. I got a good opportunity but I have to take a better shot.”

No. 11 UMass (7-3, 1-1 Colonial Athletic Association) found itself in a slow-paced defensive battle, eventually falling to Towson 6-5 at Garber Field on Saturday after a 14-day break between games.

“All CAA games are a battle,” goalkeeper Zach Oliveri said. “Our coaches before the game told us it was going to be a one-goal game, and they made more plays than us today.”

Oliveri kept the Minutemen in the game for the entire 60 minutes, recording 13 saves, nine of which came in the second half. The goalkeeper found himself on the ground multiple times throughout the contest after diving to save shots that were destined for the back of the net. Oliveri’s biggest save came with 1:23 remaining in the game as Towson’s Devin Grimaldi was left unmarked in front of the cage only to have his shot robbed by the UMass goalkeeper.

“Zach played well, made the saves we needed him to make.” UMass coach Greg Cannella said. “He’s been consistent all year. Our defense kept us in the game.”

The Tigers (8-3, 2-1 CAA) controlled the tempo from the start, forcing the normally fast-paced Minutemen into more of a slow and methodical game. Five-of-six Towson goals came unassisted, as Joe Seider and Greg Cuccinello each recorded a pair of goals weaving between the UMass defensemen.

Although both sides worked the ball around, breaking down the other’s defense, neither team could convert on their extra-man opportunities as each team went 0-4.

“Zach is a phenominal goalie,” Mariano said. “We count on him a lot and he makes the plays he’s suppose to make. He got us the ball, we just didn’t convert on the offensive end.”

Mariano finished the game two goals while Jeff George, Grant Whiteway and Ryan Izzo each had one apiece in the loss. Both George and Robert Lynott had open looks to tie the game in the final minute that just sailed high on the cage.

“We had plenty of chances,” Cannella said. “Two good teams playing hard, we’re disappointed because we felt like we had opportunities to score and we didn’t.”

Trailing 5-3 in the final minute of the second quarter, Oliveri passed the ball to Izzo to get one last offensive possession before halftime. Izzo then received a pass from the far side wing only to see nothing but open space ahead of him. The short stick defensemen coasted easily right down the ally and put one past White to cut the Towson lead to just one.

But every time the Minutemen brought the game to within one goal, the Tigers seemed to have an answer waiting. Neither team was separate by more than two goals for any part of the game.

“My defense always does a great job. I just wish I could have backed them up more, I let a couple soft ones in, but they played great throughout the entire game,” said Oliveri.

Andrew Cyr can be reached at arcyr@umass.edu, and can be followed on Twitter @Andrew_Cyr.