Paranormal Research Society seeks to uncover the truth about the supernatural -

Monday, January 26, 2015

UMass tops Merrimack 4-1 to cap off successful weekend series -

Monday, January 26, 2015

‘Broad City’s’ second season off to a wickedly funny start -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Students respond to Obama’s State of the Union address -

Monday, January 26, 2015

St. Bonaventure earns tight victory, VCU clinches 11th straight win in Atlantic 10 men’s basketball action -

Monday, January 26, 2015

An open letter to the people who were kind when I was struggling -

Monday, January 26, 2015

UMass club hockey salvages weekend with tie against NYU on Saturday -

Monday, January 26, 2015

2015 Winter TCA’s announce bevy of show returns and new releases -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Brilliant online film archives for cinema lovers -

Monday, January 26, 2015

UMass men’s and women’s track and field teams see mixed results in Joe Donahue Indoor Games -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Steve Mastalerz, defense delivers for UMass hockey -

Monday, January 26, 2015

UMass online graduate programs climb U.S. News & World Report rankings -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Front to Back: Week of Jan. 25, 2015 -

Sunday, January 25, 2015

BLOG: UMass football receives seven verbal commitments -

Sunday, January 25, 2015

UMass plans to fail again with Super Bowl guest policy -

Saturday, January 24, 2015

Special teams play fuels late UMass rally, forces tie -

Saturday, January 24, 2015

BLOG: UMass hires Mark Michaels as special teams coordinator, outside linebackers coach -

Friday, January 23, 2015

Former Tibetan political prisoner overcomes odds in Tibet and the US -

Thursday, January 22, 2015

UMass basketball falls flat in loss to St. Joe’s -

Thursday, January 22, 2015

‘Selma’ resonates with the here and now -

Thursday, January 22, 2015

Click here to visit UMass Dining
Click here to visit UMass Dining

UMass men’s lacrosse falls to Towson despite strong defensive performance

Alex Aritan/Daily Collegian

Alex Aritan/Daily Collegian

Trailing 6-5 with 13 seconds left in the game, the Massachusetts men’s lacrosse team had the ball exactly where it wanted it: in the stick of Nick Mariano.

The freshmen, who already has one game-winning goal this season, calmly attacked the cage with only one thought on his mind: sending the game to overtime.

This time, however, Mariano came up short as Towson goalkeeper Tyler White watched the ball fall right into his webbing to secure the win for the Tigers.

“I just wanted the ball in that situation,” Mariano said. “I figured I would just try to go hard to the cage. I got a good opportunity but I have to take a better shot.”

No. 11 UMass (7-3, 1-1 Colonial Athletic Association) found itself in a slow-paced defensive battle, eventually falling to Towson 6-5 at Garber Field on Saturday after a 14-day break between games.

“All CAA games are a battle,” goalkeeper Zach Oliveri said. “Our coaches before the game told us it was going to be a one-goal game, and they made more plays than us today.”

Oliveri kept the Minutemen in the game for the entire 60 minutes, recording 13 saves, nine of which came in the second half. The goalkeeper found himself on the ground multiple times throughout the contest after diving to save shots that were destined for the back of the net. Oliveri’s biggest save came with 1:23 remaining in the game as Towson’s Devin Grimaldi was left unmarked in front of the cage only to have his shot robbed by the UMass goalkeeper.

“Zach played well, made the saves we needed him to make.” UMass coach Greg Cannella said. “He’s been consistent all year. Our defense kept us in the game.”

The Tigers (8-3, 2-1 CAA) controlled the tempo from the start, forcing the normally fast-paced Minutemen into more of a slow and methodical game. Five-of-six Towson goals came unassisted, as Joe Seider and Greg Cuccinello each recorded a pair of goals weaving between the UMass defensemen.

Although both sides worked the ball around, breaking down the other’s defense, neither team could convert on their extra-man opportunities as each team went 0-4.

“Zach is a phenominal goalie,” Mariano said. “We count on him a lot and he makes the plays he’s suppose to make. He got us the ball, we just didn’t convert on the offensive end.”

Mariano finished the game two goals while Jeff George, Grant Whiteway and Ryan Izzo each had one apiece in the loss. Both George and Robert Lynott had open looks to tie the game in the final minute that just sailed high on the cage.

“We had plenty of chances,” Cannella said. “Two good teams playing hard, we’re disappointed because we felt like we had opportunities to score and we didn’t.”

Trailing 5-3 in the final minute of the second quarter, Oliveri passed the ball to Izzo to get one last offensive possession before halftime. Izzo then received a pass from the far side wing only to see nothing but open space ahead of him. The short stick defensemen coasted easily right down the ally and put one past White to cut the Towson lead to just one.

But every time the Minutemen brought the game to within one goal, the Tigers seemed to have an answer waiting. Neither team was separate by more than two goals for any part of the game.

“My defense always does a great job. I just wish I could have backed them up more, I let a couple soft ones in, but they played great throughout the entire game,” said Oliveri.

Andrew Cyr can be reached at arcyr@umass.edu, and can be followed on Twitter @Andrew_Cyr.