UMass defense can’t stop late Toledo surge, Minutemen fall 42-35 -

Saturday, October 25, 2014

Michael Kimmel speaks to UMass students about ‘Guyland’ -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass football looks for third straight win against Toledo on Saturday -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘Love is Strange’ is beautiful, painful and groundbreaking -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

White supremacy and settler colonialism at UMass -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass hockey hopes first win will propel them past Hockey East rivals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass’ second line playing and succeeding with young talent early in the season. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘The Good Wife’ returns as strong as ever -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Professor receives grant to cover massive election survey panel -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Unions rally over recent concession proposals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

NFL Pick’em games return to the Massachusetts Daily Collegian -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass celebrates Campus Sustainability Day -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

“Fury” falls just short of greatness -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Minutewomen look to continue their season in weekend game against Saint Bonaventure. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

New meal plans receive mixed reviews from students -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

ISIS’s magazine is good for the West -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass women’s soccer controls its own destiny as conference tournament approaches -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass soccer deploys new formation with Keys, Jess -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass calling on young swimmers to continue strong start to the year -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

WMU, Ohio, NIU pick up wins in busy MAC weekend -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass softball takes two, sweeps Dayton

Robert Rigo/Daily Collegian

Robert Rigo/Daily Collegian

After picking up a convincing 9-4 win in the first game of a doubleheader on Saturday, the Massachusetts softball team continued its stride in Game 2. Thanks to a five-run rally in the bottom of the fourth inning, highlighted by a pinch-hit two-run home run by Tiffany Meeks, the Minutewomen completed the doubleheader sweep of Dayton with a 5-2 win at Sortino Field Saturday afternoon.

“Our staff has worked really hard (on) getting us prepared (in) pitching, hitting, and fielding,” UMass coach Kristi Stefanoni said. “We took the day off on Thursday and practiced really hard (Friday). Our underclassmen stepped up big time (Saturday).”

Following a complete game performance by Caroline Raymond in the first game, freshman Tara Klee got the start in the circle for second game, allowing two runs on five hits with five strikeouts in a complete game effort.

Klee fell behind in the fourth inning when she allowed a leadoff home run to the Alysha Issacson, giving Dayton (14-21, 2-6 Atlantic 10) a 1-0 lead. This came after a lengthy Flyers’ third inning, when they loaded the bases on 27 pitches. Klee walked eight batters on 143 pitches.

“Dayton is a very good hitting team,” Stefanoni said. “We talked about getting the ball in the corners and that can be a difficult thing. So we just told her to keep is simple. Keep throwing it where you know you need to throw it. You’ll get the call.”

UMass (7-14, 2-2 A-10) responded in the home half of the fourth. After Lindsey Webster grounded out to third base, first baseman Bridget Lemire singled a 3-2 pitch into right field. After the Minutewomen took the lead 2-1 on doubles by Jena Cozza and Lindsey Zenk, Meeks pinch-hit for third baseman Anna Kelley and sent a 2-0 pitch over the fence to give UMass a 4-1 lead they would not relinquish.

“Tiffany is a typical hard, line-drive, outfield-ball hitter,” Stefanoni said. “I knew that in that type of situation, we were going to need a ball pretty deep in the outfield in order to get some runs scored. She happened to hit a home run which was way better than anticipated. That’s her game.”

UMass tacked on another run in the inning to take a 5-1 lead entering the fifth. Despite throwing 26 pitches and allowing another run to the Flyers in the next inning, the five-run rally by her team was enough for Klee to finish the game.

“It’s great. It’s awesome to know that my team has my back,” said Klee. I trust them completely and they’re good hitters. So no worries.”

Zenk performed well at the plate for the Minutewomen, going 2-for-3 and collecting a run batted in. Freshman backup catcher Ashton Wince also picked up an RBI and was 1-for-2 on the afternoon.

Robert Rigo/Daily Collegian

Robert Rigo/Daily Collegian

UMass takes early game

UMass’ home stand success continued early Saturday afternoon, when it beat Dayton 9-4 in the first game of a doubleheader thanks to a six-run burst in the bottom of the fourth inning.

After neither team could get on the board in the first two innings, the Flyers struck first in the top of the third inning when Issacson singled in senior outfielder Rachel Archer for the game’s first run. In the fourth inning, shortstop Jordan Jennings uncorked a solo home run over the left field fence to push the Dayton lead to 2-0.

The Minutewomen (6-14, 1-2 A-10) snatched the lead away from the Flyers in their half of the fourth inning. Four walks and a two-out grand slam by Wince put the Minutewomen ahead for good, as they took a 6-2 lead into the fifth. Dayton would attempt to make a rally of their own in the fifth and sixth innings, but an RBI double by freshman Cote Clark and a two-run home run by Bridget Lemire effectively silenced their efforts.

Caroline Raymond (4-7) earned the victory for the Minutewomen, allowing four runs and striking out three in her complete game performance. Kayla English was charged with the loss for Dayton, as she allowed nine runs and five walks in her five innings of work.

Marc Jean-Louis can be reached at mjeanlou@umass.edu.