UMass football selected to finish fourth in MAC East preseason poll -

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Legislature overrides Baker’s UMass budget cut -

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Report: UMass football’s Todd Stafford arrested Saturday morning in Stamford, Connecticut -

Monday, July 20, 2015

UMass names Molly O’Mara newly-created associate director of athletics for communications and PR -

Monday, July 20, 2015

Baker approves state budget, UMass to receive $5.25 million less than legislature’s proposed figure -

Friday, July 17, 2015

UMass bathroom policy to provide comfort, safety for transgender and non-gender conforming students -

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Long-time UMass professor Normand Berlin, 83, dies -

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

UMass professor and poet James Tate dies at 71 -

Thursday, July 9, 2015

State legislators propose budget, UMass could receive almost $532 million -

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Cause of death determined for UMass student Chloe Malast -

Monday, July 6, 2015

Nick Mariano, Zach Oliveri transferring from UMass men’s lacrosse program -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four months after banning Iranian students from certain graduate programs, UMass announces new measures to ensure compliance with U.S. law -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Letter: Response to March 31 Letter on topic of sexual violence

Flickr/Chase Carter

Flickr/Chase Carter

To the Editor, in response to the Letter to the Editor on March 31:

We appreciate the thoughtful letter of March 31 and agree that preventing and responding to campus sexual violence is a priority.

Sexual violence is a complex problem. Research shows that effectively addressing sexual violence requires a comprehensive strategy that deals with individual behavior, community standards and a compassionate response to victims/survivors, and that holds perpetrators accountable.

Sexual violence continues to be the most under-reported violent crime in the world. According to the National Research Council, less than 20 percent of sexual assaults are ever reported to the authorities. The Center for Women & Community at the University of Massachusetts employs a Civilian Advocate who works with both campus and municipal police departments to reduce the barriers survivors face in filing complaints of sexual assault. The advocate can support survivors through the challenging criminal process, which can take up to two years. Unfortunately, the conviction rate for sexual violence is 50 percent or less, depending on the jurisdiction. Legislation and law enforcement alone cannot stop sexual violence.

The bystander campaign at UMass is another component of the multiple efforts implemented to prevent and respond to sexual violence. The campus training on “delegate, distract and direct” is specifically inclusive of all members of the student body, which is consistent with the recommendations made by RAINN. The campaign communicates that recognizing and stopping sexual violence is everyone’s responsibility.

The bystander campaign is not the first effort on campus to address sexual violence. The Center for Women & Community has been facilitating sexual assault prevention education for more than 30 years.

The University has also implemented a variety of other approaches, including a coordinated response to survivors, training for first responders and a revised Student Code of Conduct and process that allows for expulsion of a student found guilty of sexual assault. The University has demonstrated its commitment to a comprehensive strategy that includes teaching prevention, effecting policy change, supporting survivors and using both the campus conduct and the criminal justice process to hold perpetrators accountable.

Everyone in our community has an important role to play in preventing and responding to sexual violence. For more information about volunteer opportunities visit the CWC website: www.umass.edu/ewc.

Sincerely,

Becky Lockwood
Associate Director of Counseling and Rape Crisis Services
Center for Women & Community