UMass rowing earns five first place finishes on Friday, two on Saturday in weekend action

The Massachusetts rowing team earned two first place finishes out of five races against MIT, Radcliffe and Bates on Saturday in Boston.

The UMass varsity 8 team, consisting of Heather Pekarovich, Taryn Wilson, Emily Mann, Marika Kopp, Pippa Edwards, Candace Miller, Sam Kolovson, Nicole Juul-Hindsgaul and Allanah Rubi-Mooney started things off with a first place finish of 7:27.8.

The other first place finish for the Minutewomen came from the varsity 4 team. The watch did not work for the race, but the UMass V4 team finished in first by a margin of 8.6 seconds, with Emily Hajjar, Rachel Boudreau, Gabrielle Hayward, Kyla Miller and Sam Wonderlin leading the way.

The Minutewomen swept all five races against UConn in Coventry, Conn. on Friday.  The UMass varsity 8 team finished with a time of 7:08.46, beating Connecticut by almost 10 seconds.

The Minutewomen’s second varsity 8 team also earned a victory with a time of 7:30.53. The UMass 2V8 team was made up of Haley Eovine, Nicole Juul-Hindsgaul, Teagan Rolf von den Baumen, Natalie Boisvert, Hadley Irvin, Rebecca Adams, Hannah Monahan, Krysten Menks and Estefi Marti Malvido.

The widest margin of victory of the day for the Minutewomen came in the varsity 4 race. The UMass V4 team finished with a time of 8:30.04, beating the UConn boat by 30 seconds

The UMass rowing team will have a week off without competition before they travel to Occoquan, Va., for the Atlantic 10 Championship on May 4.

Jamie Cushman can be reached at [email protected].