Michael Kimmel speaks to UMass students about ‘Guyland’ -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass football looks for third straight win against Toledo on Saturday -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘Love is Strange’ is beautiful, painful and groundbreaking -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

White supremacy and settler colonialism at UMass -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass hockey hopes first win will propel them past Hockey East rivals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass’ second line playing and succeeding with young talent early in the season. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘The Good Wife’ returns as strong as ever -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Professor receives grant to cover massive election survey panel -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Unions rally over recent concession proposals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

NFL Pick’em games return to the Massachusetts Daily Collegian -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass celebrates Campus Sustainability Day -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

“Fury” falls just short of greatness -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Minutewomen look to continue their season in weekend game against Saint Bonaventure. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

New meal plans receive mixed reviews from students -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

ISIS’s magazine is good for the West -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass women’s soccer controls its own destiny as conference tournament approaches -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass soccer deploys new formation with Keys, Jess -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass calling on young swimmers to continue strong start to the year -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

WMU, Ohio, NIU pick up wins in busy MAC weekend -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

A comprehensive guide to the Ebola virus -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

No. 11 UMass women’s lacrosse prepares for final two regular season games

Robert Rigo/Daily Collegian

Robert Rigo/Daily Collegian

Heading into its final weekend of the regular season, the No. 11 Massachusetts women’s lacrosse team will put their undefeated Atlantic 10 record on the line twice in preparation for the conference playoffs.

Coming off of a 9-8 comeback win on the road against Richmond in its toughest A-10 test to date, the Minutewomen (14-1, 5-0 A-10) will return home to face winless St. Bonaventure on Friday before heading to Pittsburgh, Pa. on Sunday to take on second-place Duquesne.

In addition to owning the worst record within the conference, the Bonnies rank last per game in goals, shots, turnovers, draw control wins and goals allowed. However, senior attacker Sam Rush said that UMass cannot afford to overlook St. Bonaventure (0-12, 0-5).

“Regardless of how many wins a team has, we have two big games this weekend and we want a clean sweep,” Rush said. “Starting Friday, we need to make sure we are executing our game plan.”

Rush said that the intensity in Saturday’s game against the Spiders showed that this “one-game at a time” attitude is needed to maintain focus for the rest of the season.

“We’ve been playing well so far, but our game over the weekend proved that it’s not always going to be easy and that we have to be at the top of our game at all times,” Rush said.

Senior defender Kelsey McGovern added that Saturday’s game proved that the Minutewomen have the ability to win in close games. This was something that UMass did not need to worry about before this past weekend, as the team’s first four conference games were won by an average of nearly 15 goals.

“I think that a big takeaway was that we, as a team, have the ability to grind through and pull out a win coming back from a deficit,” McGovern said.

Looking ahead to Friday’s game, UMass coach Angela McMahon said that the matchup can be used to focus on improving on “all the little things,” such as draw controls and shooting efficiency.

In particular, improvement in the draw control battle was something that McMahon stressed prior to the game against Richmond.
The Minutewomen finished Saturday’s matchup with a 13-7 advantage in faceoffs, including a 9-3 edge in the second half. This spark was led by freshman Hannah Murphy, who finished with a team-leading seven draws for the day.

“(Murphy) really kind of put the team on her back in that aspect of play,” McGovern said. “She definitely did not play like a freshman.”

McMahon said that it will be important for Murphy, as well as McGovern, to continue their success on face-offs against the Bonnies.

“When you have success on (the draw), it helps build confidence,” McMahon said. “Having success on the draw on Friday is only going to help us moving forward in being able to do well on it.”

On Sunday, UMass will face a Dukes team that sits one game behind the Minutewomen in the A-10 standings.

Unlike the struggling offense of St. Bonaventure, Duquesne (13-2, 4-1) currently sits atop the conference rankings in scoring, averaging nearly one goal more than UMass.

“We can only go one game at a time,” McMahon said. “We just need to focus on the little things that we have to improve on.”

Friday will be the Minutewomen’s final home game of the regular season. It will also mark the last time that UMass’s eight seniors will play at McGuirk Stadium.

Although Senior Day took place last Sunday, Kelsey McGovern said that this upcoming game also has a significant meaning to her.

“It’s going to be a sentimental game,” McGovern said. “We have such a home field advantage here and it’s a special place where I love playing.”

Friday’s game will begin at 1 p.m. Sunday’s season finale at Duquesne will begin at noon.

Anthony Chiusano can be reached at achiusano@umass.edu and can be followed on Twitter @a_chiusano24.