Workout on the Quad comes to UMass

SELF Workout in the Park
Courtesy of SELF Magazine

The University of Massachusetts has won a contest that will have its students feeling the burn.

SELF Magazine’s Workout on the Quad Challenge will be coming to UMass this Saturday starting at 11 a.m. on the Northeast quad for a memorable day filled with exercise classes, freebies and nutritious treats.

SELF is a magazine dedicated to improving the health of women with fun, easy fitness and diet tips. According to Renee Lewin, associate publisher for SELF Magazine, the magazine has hosted multiple Workout in the Park events across the country in parks such as Central Park in New York. Last year, it introduced the first Workout on the Quad event at American University in Washington, D.C., to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the Workout in the Park series.

“We had an amazing turnout,” Lewin said. “Thousands of students as well as faculty, staff and alumni enjoyed the exhilarating event. As a matter of fact, over 11,500 fitness enthusiasts participated in the Workout in the Park series last year including the inaugural Workout on the Quad event.”

The Workout on the Quad event will feature a day of workouts from yoga to Crossfit. Students may attend exercise classes from the Main Stage, which includes toning workouts, Zumba and dynamic flexibility workouts; the Quiet Zone, which includes an array of yoga routines; or the Reebok Fit Zone, which includes eight classes of the CrossFit Workout of the Day. Each class is 20 minutes long. Students may attend any number of classes, but space is limited for all Quiet Zone and Reebok Fit Zone classes, which will be accepting participants on a first-come, first-serve basis.

“There’s really something for everyone,” Lewin said. “Workout on the Quad will offer an incredible lineup of all the latest classes in one convenient place just in time to find your favorite workout for the summer season.”

The event will be powered by HerCampus, an online community for college women. UMass won the Workout on the Quad Challenge this year by having the highest level of participation when competing via the SELF Workout in the Park Social Game on Facebook.

According to a press release, the event will also feature giveaways and a free one-year subscription to SELF magazine with each ticket. Health-promoting companies such as Athleta, Bai, CRUNCH and Garnier will sponsor the event. These companies will be offering free items such as yoga mats, beverage samples and skin products throughout the day.

The event is free and open to all students, faculty, staff and alumni in the UMass community. To attend, one can visit SELF Magazine’s Workout on the Quad website and use the code “QUAD” at checkout. Valid UMass identification will be required to be admitted to the event.

Lewin also encourages all participants to tweet @SELFmagazine, @HerCampusUMass and @HerCampus with the hashtags #WorkoutOnTheQuad and #UMassAmherst.

“SELF Workout on the Quad is the embodiment of the SELF brand’s commitment to create a vivid experience for women around personal wellness,” Lewin said. “[It is] an initiative that delivers on SELF Magazine’s mission to motivate and inspire women to be their best selves.”

The event will be ending around 3 p.m. Tickets for the event can be bought at  http://selfcurated.self.com/purchase-tickets.

Kate Leddy can be reached at [email protected].

Editor’s Note: A previous version of this article incorrectly attributed quotes.