BLOG: UMass football recruiting roundup: UMass signs DT, offers two kickers -

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

UMass President Robert Caret resigns to become chancellor of the University of Maryland system -

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Brandon Montour: ‘It felt great to be out there’ -

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

UMass falls to Northeastern in Brandon Montour’s debut -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Cady Lalanne continues to evolve as a potential outside shooting threat -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

UMass hockey returns to action against Northeastern, Montour to make season debut -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Demetrius Dyson remains hopeful despite rocky start to season -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Former UMass soccer star Matt Keys aims to continue his career professionally -

Monday, December 15, 2014

Pierre-Louis, Dillard shine in UMass victory over Holy Cross -

Sunday, December 14, 2014

Passing, spacing improved in UMass victory -

Saturday, December 13, 2014

Prolific first half propels UMass past Canisius, 75-58 -

Saturday, December 13, 2014

UMass Faculty Senate hears ad hoc committee’s report on FBS football, shoots down contentious motion -

Thursday, December 11, 2014

Minutemen hope improved spacing will aid struggling half court offense -

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Divest UMass urges Board of Trustees to split with fossil fuel industry -

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Cady Lalanne accustomed to dealing with increased attention -

Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Front to Back: Week of Dec. 1, 2014 -

Monday, December 8, 2014

Chiarelli: UMass basketball running out of time to find its identity -

Monday, December 8, 2014

Minutewomen take care of business against American -

Monday, December 8, 2014

UMass women’s basketball handles American, 71-61 -

Sunday, December 7, 2014

UMass basketball downed by Florida Gulf Coast 84-75 -

Sunday, December 7, 2014

SELF Magazine’s Workout on the Quad draws 900 students

Rain didn’t stop 900 students from heading to SELF Magazine’s Workout on the Quad on Saturday for exercise and giveaways. Although it was dreary outside, spirits were high in the tents.

The Workout in the Park event is celebrating its 21st anniversary this year, and the University of Massachusetts, after having the highest participation in the SELF Workout in the Park Social Game on Facebook, was able to host the second ever Workout on the Quad event.

“This event is the same as the Workout in the Park, just shrunk down and for free for UMass students,” said Brittany Forgione, senior publicist for SELF. “HerCampus UMass really got everyone involved and rose to the top. They rallied up the students and racked up the points.”

Forgione added, “This event is getting bigger and bigger. It’s the first of its kind and it is our staple event. It’s about the healthy lifestyle experience, and this is the magazine brought to life. This is our baby.”

“I’m really proud of our organization for winning this amazing event. We won it out of over 500 schools in the country,” said Brittany Lynch, the business development manager for HerCampus UMass and president of the publication next year. “It is just unfortunate it was scheduled on a rainy day.”

Due to the weather and muddy conditions, the yoga, pilates and Reebok Crossfit portions of the event could not happen, but the Crunch instructors kept the workout going at the main stage with classes like Rear Attitude, House Grooves and Beach Body.

“The instructors were really enthusiastic even though it wasn’t the greatest weather,” said Danielle Arcese, a junior at UMass.

“I’m really into the workouts,” said Phil Rosario, a junior at UMass who was working security at the event. “Many people have told me I look like I’m having a good time, and I am, because they are a good time.”

HerCampus hoped to have 1,000 attendees at the event, and 900 people ended up coming.

“I’m surprised we had 900 attendees. If it was a nice day I think we could have had close to 2,000, but the turnout was good despite the rain,” Lynch said.

Workout on the Quad attracted not only students from UMass, but from the Five Colleges as well. Natasha Sharma, a junior at Smith College and the campus correspondent for HerCampus, attended with a group of her friends.

“I think it’s really special to have a lot of people out here,” Sharma said. “There’s lots of spirit and it’s a fun and different atmosphere. It’s great way to bring the community together. I wanted to check it out and see how we could get this on our campus.”

Although the weather hindered certain aspects of the event, there was still plenty going on aside from exercising to keep spirits high. Tents were set up around the Northeast quad, offering a variety of freebies, snacks and activities for attendees. Free samples of Emmy’s Organics cookies, Kind granola bars, Bai drinks and Popchips were offered near the entrance of the event.

Garnier had its own section of tents that offered mini facials, hair color consultations and neck massages, along with free samples and the chance to win prizes by spinning a wheel.

The Reebok Fit Zone, where Reebok Crossfit was scheduled, allowed attendees to try on Reebok’s new shoe styles, and check out their gear.

At the Victoria’s Secret Sport tent, the company displayed its apparel and had coupons exclusively for the Amherst community, and even gave away shirts and tank tops.

In the Quiet Zone of the event, where yoga and pilates were scheduled, Athleta gave away yoga mats, which many students said was their favorite freebie of all.

“People were laughing, running from tent to tent, really excited about the free stuff and the SELF magazine staff helped out tremendously by staying energized and positive and encouraged people to join in the workouts,” Lynch said.

Taylor Gilmore can be reached at tgilmore@umass.edu.