Report: UMass continues search for new athletic director, DeFilippo not an option -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

UPDATE: Police to charge UMass football player with two counts of aggravated assault and battery -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Students for Justice in Palestine, administration react to inflammatory posters -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

UMass falls short, lacks energy in 82-71 loss to Saint Joseph’s -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Drake’s surprise mixtape yields few surprises -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Potential shutdown of the Department of Homeland Security offers chance for Republican legislature to learn from its mistakes -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Winless UMass faces Brown -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Jose Gonzalez returns with graceful “Vestiges & Claws” -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

SGA to host Women’s Leadership Symposium -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

UMass women’s basketball finishes road schedule with matchup against Dayton -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Keystone XL pipeline sparks pollution awareness -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Dartmouth and Fordham to start stretch of key games for Minutewomen -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

DeAndre Bembry has career day in win over UMass -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Discussion on Palestine incorporates history as well as recent posters targeting SJP -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

UMass set for season finale in Connecticut -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Imagine Dragons deliver nothing but “Smoke & Mirrors” on their second album. -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

UMass student files federal civil rights lawsuit against Amherst police officers after ‘Blarney’ arrest -

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

SGA spring elections campaigns kick off -

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

UMass must contain Bembry in rematch with St. Joe’s -

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Chaz Williams returns from his stint overseas, signs contract with Maine Red Claws -

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

SELF Magazine’s Workout on the Quad draws 900 students

Rain didn’t stop 900 students from heading to SELF Magazine’s Workout on the Quad on Saturday for exercise and giveaways. Although it was dreary outside, spirits were high in the tents.

The Workout in the Park event is celebrating its 21st anniversary this year, and the University of Massachusetts, after having the highest participation in the SELF Workout in the Park Social Game on Facebook, was able to host the second ever Workout on the Quad event.

“This event is the same as the Workout in the Park, just shrunk down and for free for UMass students,” said Brittany Forgione, senior publicist for SELF. “HerCampus UMass really got everyone involved and rose to the top. They rallied up the students and racked up the points.”

Forgione added, “This event is getting bigger and bigger. It’s the first of its kind and it is our staple event. It’s about the healthy lifestyle experience, and this is the magazine brought to life. This is our baby.”

“I’m really proud of our organization for winning this amazing event. We won it out of over 500 schools in the country,” said Brittany Lynch, the business development manager for HerCampus UMass and president of the publication next year. “It is just unfortunate it was scheduled on a rainy day.”

Due to the weather and muddy conditions, the yoga, pilates and Reebok Crossfit portions of the event could not happen, but the Crunch instructors kept the workout going at the main stage with classes like Rear Attitude, House Grooves and Beach Body.

“The instructors were really enthusiastic even though it wasn’t the greatest weather,” said Danielle Arcese, a junior at UMass.

“I’m really into the workouts,” said Phil Rosario, a junior at UMass who was working security at the event. “Many people have told me I look like I’m having a good time, and I am, because they are a good time.”

HerCampus hoped to have 1,000 attendees at the event, and 900 people ended up coming.

“I’m surprised we had 900 attendees. If it was a nice day I think we could have had close to 2,000, but the turnout was good despite the rain,” Lynch said.

Workout on the Quad attracted not only students from UMass, but from the Five Colleges as well. Natasha Sharma, a junior at Smith College and the campus correspondent for HerCampus, attended with a group of her friends.

“I think it’s really special to have a lot of people out here,” Sharma said. “There’s lots of spirit and it’s a fun and different atmosphere. It’s great way to bring the community together. I wanted to check it out and see how we could get this on our campus.”

Although the weather hindered certain aspects of the event, there was still plenty going on aside from exercising to keep spirits high. Tents were set up around the Northeast quad, offering a variety of freebies, snacks and activities for attendees. Free samples of Emmy’s Organics cookies, Kind granola bars, Bai drinks and Popchips were offered near the entrance of the event.

Garnier had its own section of tents that offered mini facials, hair color consultations and neck massages, along with free samples and the chance to win prizes by spinning a wheel.

The Reebok Fit Zone, where Reebok Crossfit was scheduled, allowed attendees to try on Reebok’s new shoe styles, and check out their gear.

At the Victoria’s Secret Sport tent, the company displayed its apparel and had coupons exclusively for the Amherst community, and even gave away shirts and tank tops.

In the Quiet Zone of the event, where yoga and pilates were scheduled, Athleta gave away yoga mats, which many students said was their favorite freebie of all.

“People were laughing, running from tent to tent, really excited about the free stuff and the SELF magazine staff helped out tremendously by staying energized and positive and encouraged people to join in the workouts,” Lynch said.

Taylor Gilmore can be reached at tgilmore@umass.edu.