Massachusetts drought heavily impacts local agriculture -

UMass Soccer earns second win of season in 3-2 victory over Hartford -

‘Morris from America’ explores teen angst and the struggles of growing up -

‘Hell or High Water’ an intense, morally ambiguous modern Western -

Read: You won’t regret it -

UMass field hockey hangs tough, falls to No. 18 Stanford -

Racism in the LGBTQ community -

Harvard professor discusses race, power and science in academia -

‘Kubo and the Two Strings’ is a stop-motion masterpiece -

Editorial: The Massachusetts Daily Collegian Mission Statement -

Amherst Police Dept. uses pepper spray to disperse party on Hobart Lane -

UMass football can’t overcome four third quarter Mississippi State touchdowns, fall 47-35 Saturday -

UMass football’s fourth quarter comeback attempt falls short against Mississippi State Saturday -

Cyr: Despite improvement, UMass football still can’t capture first marquee FBS win -

MassPIRG kicks off for the fall semester -

UMass Resistance Studies Initiative hosts activist and author George Lakey -

UMass field hockey readies for tough tests against Stanford, Boston College -

Calling the shots: everything you need to know about the flu vaccine -

UMass assistant Professor speaks about oppression of American Indians -

Astronomy department head hosting sundial and sky-watching event -

SELF Magazine’s Workout on the Quad draws 900 students

Rain didn’t stop 900 students from heading to SELF Magazine’s Workout on the Quad on Saturday for exercise and giveaways. Although it was dreary outside, spirits were high in the tents.

The Workout in the Park event is celebrating its 21st anniversary this year, and the University of Massachusetts, after having the highest participation in the SELF Workout in the Park Social Game on Facebook, was able to host the second ever Workout on the Quad event.

“This event is the same as the Workout in the Park, just shrunk down and for free for UMass students,” said Brittany Forgione, senior publicist for SELF. “HerCampus UMass really got everyone involved and rose to the top. They rallied up the students and racked up the points.”

Forgione added, “This event is getting bigger and bigger. It’s the first of its kind and it is our staple event. It’s about the healthy lifestyle experience, and this is the magazine brought to life. This is our baby.”

“I’m really proud of our organization for winning this amazing event. We won it out of over 500 schools in the country,” said Brittany Lynch, the business development manager for HerCampus UMass and president of the publication next year. “It is just unfortunate it was scheduled on a rainy day.”

Due to the weather and muddy conditions, the yoga, pilates and Reebok Crossfit portions of the event could not happen, but the Crunch instructors kept the workout going at the main stage with classes like Rear Attitude, House Grooves and Beach Body.

“The instructors were really enthusiastic even though it wasn’t the greatest weather,” said Danielle Arcese, a junior at UMass.

“I’m really into the workouts,” said Phil Rosario, a junior at UMass who was working security at the event. “Many people have told me I look like I’m having a good time, and I am, because they are a good time.”

HerCampus hoped to have 1,000 attendees at the event, and 900 people ended up coming.

“I’m surprised we had 900 attendees. If it was a nice day I think we could have had close to 2,000, but the turnout was good despite the rain,” Lynch said.

Workout on the Quad attracted not only students from UMass, but from the Five Colleges as well. Natasha Sharma, a junior at Smith College and the campus correspondent for HerCampus, attended with a group of her friends.

“I think it’s really special to have a lot of people out here,” Sharma said. “There’s lots of spirit and it’s a fun and different atmosphere. It’s great way to bring the community together. I wanted to check it out and see how we could get this on our campus.”

Although the weather hindered certain aspects of the event, there was still plenty going on aside from exercising to keep spirits high. Tents were set up around the Northeast quad, offering a variety of freebies, snacks and activities for attendees. Free samples of Emmy’s Organics cookies, Kind granola bars, Bai drinks and Popchips were offered near the entrance of the event.

Garnier had its own section of tents that offered mini facials, hair color consultations and neck massages, along with free samples and the chance to win prizes by spinning a wheel.

The Reebok Fit Zone, where Reebok Crossfit was scheduled, allowed attendees to try on Reebok’s new shoe styles, and check out their gear.

At the Victoria’s Secret Sport tent, the company displayed its apparel and had coupons exclusively for the Amherst community, and even gave away shirts and tank tops.

In the Quiet Zone of the event, where yoga and pilates were scheduled, Athleta gave away yoga mats, which many students said was their favorite freebie of all.

“People were laughing, running from tent to tent, really excited about the free stuff and the SELF magazine staff helped out tremendously by staying energized and positive and encouraged people to join in the workouts,” Lynch said.

Taylor Gilmore can be reached at tgilmore@umass.edu.