UMass baseball beats UConn for first time since 2007

Cade Belisle/Daily Collegian
Cade Belisle/Daily Collegian

It was a welcome twist to a familiar story for the Massachusetts baseball team on Tuesday afternoon.

After squandering several chances in the first three innings and struggling to keep runners off the bases, the Minutemen were on pace to lose another game in a fashion all too familiar to them this season.

Instead, they broke through for three runs in the bottom of the fourth and the bullpen combination of Evan Mackintosh and Brandon Walsh pitched the final five innings as UMass beat UConn 5-4 at Earl Lorden field. It was the first time the Minutemen beat UConn since 2007.

“We’ve been in that situation a lot of times, and it’s gone the other direction,” UMass coach Mike Stone said. “We were glad to see it go our way today.”

The Minutemen (10-26) jumped out to an early 2-0 lead in the bottom of the second inning, only to see the Huskies storm back and score three runs in the top of the third. Starter Ryan Moloney struggled to keep runners off base.

But UMass got an offensive boost from an unlikely source.

Freshman leftfielder Dylan Morris, in just his eighth start of the season, singled to lead off the fourth inning. His hit sparked a three-run rally for the Minutemen and put them ahead 5-2.

Morris started the game 2-for-2 with an RBI, but was called on to sacrifice bunt his next two times at the plate. He executed perfectly and was not upset about shelving his hot bat.

“That’s all that really matters in the end, the final score of the game,” Morris said. “Whatever I can do to get the runner in a better position to score, I’ll be glad to do.”

After UMass gained the lead, it turned to the bullpen for the final five innings. When Moloney exited after four innings and 92 pitches, Mackintosh jumped in and stopped the bleeding, ultimately picking up his first win of the season.

“Mack pitched a hell of a game,” Walsh said. “He was mixing in all his pitches, getting his curveball for a strike, and his changeup looked good as well. (UConn) was way out in front (of him).”

Stone had similar praise for the sophomore left-hander.

“Evan pitched well. He hasn’t pitched very often, but he wants to pitch, and he took advantage of his opportunity and did a great job,” he said.

In the eighth inning, Walsh – who started the game at catcher – entered to face the heart of a tough UConn (21-23) lineup.

“I felt it was time to bring in Brandon and face those 3-4 guys,” Stone said. “They’re the best hitters on that team, and he did a great job. It was nice to be able to piece that one together.”

Walsh pitched a 1-2-3 eighth inning, then induced a game-ending double play in the ninth to secure his second save of the season. After a season where Minutemen hitters and pitchers have often struggled to pick each other up, Walsh was happy with the way his teammates played together in the win.

“It feels great. It was a great team win all around. We executed when we needed to and had some clutch hits,” he said.

It was the second win in a row for UMass. The winning streak – just its third of the season – comes at the perfect moment for the Minutemen, as they play six of their next seven games against conference opponents. The outcome of those games will likely determine whether UMass qualifies for the Atlantic 10 tournament at the end of the regular season.

The Minutemen are set to host George Mason for a three-game series this weekend, but first will take on Quinnipiac today. First pitch is scheduled for 3 p.m. at Earl Lorden Field.

Ross Gienieczko can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @RossGien.