Rashaan Holloway one of the few bright spots in UMass men’s basketball’s loss to Providence -

In a game riddled with mistakes, UMass men’s basketball falls to Providence -

UMass men’s basketball struggles to slow down Rodney Bullock in second half in loss to Providence -

Captain Steve Iacobellis scores, but UMass hockey can’t find its offensive rhythm in 3-1 loss to UConn -

Minutemen can’t get offense going early in 3-1 loss at Connecticut -

Demonstrators issue demands at Board of Trustees meeting as Woolridge announces resignation from post of chairman -

UMass men’s basketball shows improvement in 3-point shooting. -

UMass men’s basketball cruises to a victory over Pacific behind a strong second half -

UMass Divest and proponents of sanctuary campus will not be allowed to speak at Board of Trustees meeting -

Former political prisoner to speak on human rights and prison experience -

UMass men’s basketball using late-game situations as learning opportunities for remainder of season -

UMass men’s basketball kicks off Gotham Classic at home against Pacific -

UMass hockey looks to continue recent improvements against Connecticut -

UMass hockey team confident in game plan despite UConn’s constant change in net -

UMass women’s basketball falls apart in the fourth quarter in 71-55 loss to Hofstra -

It’s been a long year -

A return to the collapse of 2008 -

Mindfulness in, and in spite of, a technological age -

Beer, bets and pool: a High Horse unofficial review -

Don’t let winter stop you from running outside -

No. 14 UMass women’s lacrosse season ends in loss to Loyola (MD)

Photo by Robert Rigo/Daily Collegian

Photo by Robert Rigo/Daily Collegian

NEWTON — And just like that, the season was over.

The No. 14 Massachusetts women’s lacrosse team fell to No. 12 Loyola Maryland in the first round of the NCAA Tournament by a score 10-4 on Friday, putting an end to the Minutewomen’s 2014 campaign.

With the end of the season comes the end of an era for UMass, as it retires a senior class that holds eight different school records and led the team to four straight Atlantic 10 conference championships, including its most successful season since 1984.

The Minutewomen (18-2) certainly wanted the season to last longer than it did, but senior defender Kelsey McGovern said when looking back on the season, they take in the good as well as the bad.

“I think we take it in strides, in terms of, we had success within our conference,” she said. “Just unfortunately in (the NCAA Tournament), we just didn’t connect and make things go our way.”

The Greyhounds (15-5) jumped out to an early lead, scoring two unanswered goals in the first six minutes. But UMass fought back, scoring back and forth with Loyola and going into halftime trailing just 4-3.

But the second half belonged to the Greyhounds, as they outscored the Minutewomen 6-1 in the second frame to run away with the victory. Coach Angela McMahon said UMass’ play in the second half was too sloppy to come away with the win over a tough opponent like Loyola.

“We just turned the ball over a little bit too much, and again, some of our shots weren’t falling,” she said. “We can’t shoot that way in the NCAA Tournament and expect to win a game.”

The Greyhounds’ defense gave the Minutewomen fits throughout the game. UMass was held to four goals on 22 shots and converted on none of its nine free position shot opportunities. Loyola goalkeeper Molly Wolf saved 10 shots to earn the win.

Katie Ferris, who finished with six shots (none of which scored) and five turnovers, said the Greyhounds’ defense was difficult to handle.

“It was pretty tough. Their defense was more high-pressure and a different style than we’ve seen in our past games, so it was something we needed to adjust to,” she said. “We started to a little bit, and then we started to turn the ball over. We just didn’t get into any groove today.”

Loyola was led offensively by Hannah Schmitt, who scored three goals and an assist. Sydney Thomas and Annie Thomas also added two goals and two assists each for the Greyhounds.

McMahon praised the Loyola offense for how dynamic it was, and said its constant pressure was able to wear out the UMass defense.

“The type of defense that we play, it’s high-pressure, and if we’re playing too much of it, we’re going to get a little tired, and I think that kind of wore us out a little bit as things went on, and that created some openings for them, and they were able to finish and capitalize on them.”

The only multi-goal scorer for the Minutewomen was Sam Rush, who finished with two goals to break her own single-season goals record, finishing the season with 67 goals.

Despite the loss, McMahon said she was proud of her team for giving it’s all right to the finish.

“We fought hard for the full 60 minutes,” she said. “All over the field we were working our butts off right to the end, so I’m very proud of the team for that aspect of it.”

Jesse Mayfield-Sheehan can be reached at jmayfiel@umass.edu and can be followed on Twitter @jgms88.