UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass ranked in top 25 for LGBTQ students -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass football fall camp day five: Rodney Mills looks to continue bringing versatility to tight end position -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Route 9 Diner to reopen under new ownership -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Rising UMass sophomore dies unexpectedly -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

UMass football fall camp day four: Veteran offensive line boasts chemistry, looks to improve run blocking -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

A colorful UMass homecoming -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Potential nighttime and weekend parking fee at UMass tabled -

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

UMass football fall camp day three: Ex-quarterbacks A.J. Doyle, Andrew Verboys continue transitions to new positions -

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

UMass football fall camp day two: Defensive secondary hopes experience, added depth brings greater consistency -

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

UMass football dominated as Boston College rolls to a 30-7 victory

Robert Rigo/Daily Collegian

Robert Rigo/Daily Collegian

For the first 30 minutes of play, despite a significant difference in yardage and time of possession, the Massachusetts football team was still competitive with Boston College on Saturday.

Earlier this week in a radio interview on 98.5 The Sports Hub, coach Mark Whipple said he wanted his team to be in a close football game at halftime.

“We need to get into halftime in a football game,” Whipple said. “And then we can make some adjustments and play to win in the second half.

Whipple got his wish, but didn’t get the results he hoped for.

Although UMass only found itself trailing 6-0 heading into the locker room, Boston College dominated the game in almost every statistical output en route to a
30-7 victory over the Minutemen in front of 30,479 at Gillette Stadium.

“I thought we matched up well physically in the first half,” Whipple said. “Our defense was worn down. We just don’t have enough bodies right now.”

Boston College’s game plan was straightforward: run the football.

The Minutemen (0-1) allowed 338 yards on 61 carries and it certainly felt like much more than that.

“They did what they wanted to do and we couldn’t stop them,” Whipple said.

It was a combination of quarterback Tyler Murphy and running backs Myles Willis and Tyler Rouse piling up the yards for the Eagles, but it’s the offensive line that deserves the majority of the credit. Whether it was a read-option or counter, Boston College easily turned the corner and bounced big runs to the outside throughout the game.

Murphy finished with 118 yards on 13 carries and a touchdown for the Eagles. The dual-threat quarterback also went 17-for-24 with 173 passing yards and a touchdown for the game. It was Murphy’s ability to escape the pressure and move the chains that allowed Boston College to have possession for 42 minutes, 11 seconds as opposed to UMass’ 17:49.

The Eagles (1-0) picked up 30 first downs on the day (27 on run plays) to the Minutemen’s seven.

In his first career start, Blake Frohnapfel went 9-for-22 for 147 yards with a touchdown and interception. Frohnapfel was on his back after many throws as the Eagles; defensive front put constant pressure on the new quarterback.

Frohnapfel also struggled with his deep ball, but it wasn’t by much. UMass took plenty of shots down the field early in the game to open receivers, but Frohnapfel’s passes sailed just high of his targets.

“Those are throws where, against a team like (Boston College), you need to hit,” he said. “Throws that I need to make.”

Frohnapfel finally connected on the deep ball with 1:29 remaining in the third quarter, hitting Tajae Sharpe for a 77-yard touchdown pass for UMass’ first score of the year. It was the first 70-plus yard touchdown pass since current Minutemen quarterbacks coach Liam Coen did so on Oct. 25, 2008.

J.T. Blyden rushed for 43 yards on nine carries in his collegiate debut after Jamal Wilson left the game midway through the third quarter due to injury. Both Whipple and Frohnapfel were impressed with the 18-year old’s performance and expect his role on offense to grow substantially as the season progresses.

The Minutemen struggled to move the ball on the ground, however, picking up just 55 yards on 22 carries.

UMass’ best chance to pull ahead early came at the 2:20 mark in the second quarter after cornerback Randall Jette intercepted Murphy and returned it to the Eagles 19-yard line. Frohnapfel was called for intentional grounding on the next play, which resulted in the loss of down and a 15-yard penalty. After an incompletion and four-yard screen pass to Wilson, Blake Lucas missed a 44-yard field goal wide right and the Minutemen remained scoreless.

UMass’ next test will be a next Saturday against a Pac-12 team as Colorado visits Gillete.

Andrew Cyr can be reached at arcyr@umass.edu, and can be followed on Twitter @Andrew_Cyr.