Jean Sifrin’s debut highlighted by pair of touchdowns in loss

Photo by Cade Belisle/Daily Collegian
Photo by Cade Belisle/Daily Collegian

FOXBOROUGH – Jean Sifrin motioned to a Massachusetts teammate about positioning as he lined up for third and goal from the 14-yard line. Satisfied with his own advice, Sifrin flashed a brief thumbs up with his right hand.

Seconds later, that hand became UMass’ offensive highlight of the game as the 6-foot-7, 250-pound tight end one-handed a high pass at full extension to give UMass a 21-20 lead over Colorado with 18 seconds until halftime.

Oh yeah, and the catch was only the third career reception for Sifrin, a junior transfer via El Camino junior college. His first, a 12-yarder earlier in the quarter, was also a touchdown.

“It’s from basketball, just coming down with the ball,” Sifrin said of his second score. “I always told them, ‘Just throw it up if we’re in the end zone, and I’ll be able to go up and get it,’ but I didn’t think it would’ve been that high. I saw it, posted up the defender, and went for it.”

Sifrin, who was not eligible during summer training camp and missed last week’s game against Boston College while awaiting clearance from the NCAA, compiled 40 yards and two touchdowns in his debut for the Minutemen, a 41-38 loss to Colorado at Gillette Stadium on Saturday.

Quarterback Blake Fohnapfel, a graduate student, targeted Sifrin often, particularly in the red zone. Their on-field chemistry is a new marriage that’s in the honeymoon phase.

“With Jean in the end zone, instead of a field goal, it’s a touchdown,” said Frohnapfel, who lives a floor below Sifrin in the same apartment building. “Someone like him is a freak athlete, really. Having him out on the field caused a lot of problems with defense. A guy like him helps a quarterback.”

Frohnapfel said the two became quick friends because they are both new to the team. The signal-caller, who joined UMass this year from Marshall, said he knew Sifrin would be an impact player after watching him run around when he first got to Amherst.

Frohnapfel added that Sifrin is also a good blocker, as well as a reliable target.

“That was his first game, and to have a guy making plays like that in his first game gets us excited,” Frohnapfel said. “We know that he can make a lot of those plays in the future as well.”

Minutemen coach Mark Whipple said the team is still figuring out Sifrin’s skill set. He said he isn’t sure yet how the latter will be used moving forward, but noted he was glad to have Sifrin on the team.

“The kid obviously didn’t freeze,” Whipple said. “He made a big play in the end zone. He’s a great target and can run, but it’s a whole other level when you come from junior college with no spring practice and no summer. Going against scout teams is a little bit different.

“But he’s a really good kid, a really good teammate and I think it’s going to help our entire offense.”

Sifrin said it was exciting to play his first game wearing maroon and white. He said he is still working to learn the system and all the packages he is in.

“It’s been tough sitting on the sideline watching my teammates play without me, but it’s a work in progress,” Sifrin said.

Work in progress also goes for his team, which is still searching for its first win of the season. As far as Sifrin is concerned, his stats were nothing.

“It doesn’t mean anything without a win. It’s just another catch.”

Peter Cappiello can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @petecapps.