UMass women’s soccer earns first home win of season in double overtime thriller

(Cade Belisle/Daily Collegian)
(Cade Belisle/Daily Collegian)

It looked like it was going to be a game of firsts for the Massachusetts women’s soccer team on Sunday.

The Minutewomen were 45 seconds away from their first win in regulation this season and their first win at home at Rudd Field this year, all coming infreshman goalkeeper Cassidy Babin’s first start, where she almost recorded her first collegiate shutout.

New Hampshire’s Brooke Murphy changed with a goal with 45 seconds left in regulation. However, UMass stayed composed and junior captain Jackie Bruno delivered in the 103rd minute to give the Minutewomen a 2-1 victory in double overtime for their first win at Rudd Field this season.

With the Minutewomen (2-3-1) coming off two straight double overtime losses and going on the road for the next four games, there was no confusion in how important it was to end their home stretch on a high note.

“We needed this today,” UMass coach Ed Matz said. “It’s emotionally draining when you’ve lost your last two matches in double overtime.”

UMass struck first with a penalty kick in the 47th minute that was converted by sophomore Megan Burke.

After struggling to produce offensively the past few games, the Minutewomen dominated the Wildcats on Sunday in total shots (24-11) and corner kicks (9-2). Bruno led the team with 10 shots.

“We’re creating shots, which is great,” Matz said “As long as we create shots, that’s all I care about. They’re going to go in eventually.”

UMass went into the final minute of regulation with a 1-0 lead, but Murphy’s goal with 45 seconds left forced the game into overtime.

“It gets really hectic in the last 10 minutes in the game,” Bruno said. “We know what it feels like to win in overtime and we know what it feels like to lose in overtime, so every time we go in we know individually we have each other’s back and the whole team is playing for each other.”

Bruno and her teammates responded in overtime when Daniela Alvarez found Bruno for the game-winner  in the 103rd minute.

UMass has become accustomed to overtime periods this year, with five of its six games heading into extra time. Four of these games have gone into double overtime.  Sunday was the first extra-time win for the Minutewomen since Aug. 28th against Bryant.

“This was time and we basically said this is it,” Matz said. “This was time to basically say stop and no more of this and in both overtimes we played really, really well.”

UMass relied heavily on its youth on Sunday, including Babin.  According to Matz, Babin and the other underclassmen have showed progression.

“Our young players are understanding the system more and more and we’re giving them a chance,” Matz said. “Obviously we want to win these games in September but we’re going to have to count on our young players.”

Even with their youth, the Minutewomen maintained their composure in a very physical game where the Wildcats were called for two yellow cards.

“I think we’re a very physical team as well and when we want the ball, we’re ready to body up,” Bruno said.

The Minutewomen hope that their momentum will carry onto the road, as they start a four game road trip this Thursday at Northeastern. Matz said that he is confident that the success will continue, as long as the team maintains the same mindset.

“We had a lot of built in excuses today for why we may not succeed,” Matz said. “We didn’t want them being prevalent, so today was a huge day.”

Frank Corona can be reached at [email protected].