Minutemen bond as team during lengthy road trip

(Araz Havan/ Daily Collegian)
(Araz Havan/ Daily Collegian)

Most NCAA teams start the season off in low-pressure situations against non-conference foes. Many participate in season opening tournaments designed to add interest to some of the least important games of the year. The Massachusetts men’s soccer team is no different. Last year, it traveled to Illinois for two games in the Hotels at Grand Prairie Classic (at Bradley).

This year, the Minutemen had a more ambitious trip in mind – a West Coast road trip to Utah and California to play four games to kick off the season.

“It was coach (Sam) Koch’s idea,” UMass coach Devin O’Neill said. “He scheduled it, and had been working on it for over a year.”

The trip (and 2014 season) started on Aug. 30 in Orem, Utah against Utah Valley. From there, the Minutemen traveled even further west to California for three matchups in six days against San Jose State, Santa Clara, and Cal Poly. After the final game of the road trip on Sept. 7 against Cal Poly, the Minutemen boarded a red eye flight and finally arrived back in Amherst around 9 a.m. the next morning.

It was a 10-day trip that spanned three states and several thousand miles. When it was over, despite going winless in four games, O’Neill was confident that UMass had improved.

“We saw positive signs on both sides of the ball,” he said.

On defense, the change was easy to see. After conceding nine goals in their first two games, the Minutemen tightened up in the back half and only allowed three goals in the next two.

Improvements made on the offensive side were not as result-driven, but O’Neill was confident they were there.

“I thought in the second half against Cal Poly the attacking play was good,” O’Neill said. “We were able to move the ball upfield quickly and it led to some good scoring chances.”

UMass’ improvement wasn’t limited to only the field either. Both players and coaches agreed that the trip was instrumental in building chemistry for a squad that has 17 underclassmen currently on the roster.

“It was a really great experience for the team,” said senior forward Josh Schwartz. “We were together almost 24/7. We got a lot closer on the trip”

O’Neill echoed that sentiment, and had similar praise for his team.

“The guys were great the whole time,” he said. “The interactions with each other were very positive.”

The week and a half road trip did not come without difficulties, however. Planes and time differences made the adjustment to West Coast jet lag difficult, especially for a college team that isn’t accustomed to traveling such long distances like a professional team might. Another issue –one not unique to UMass — was schoolwork, a problem Schwartz described.

“All together, I probably missed six or seven classes,” he said. “It’s worse for the freshman. I’m a senior so I only have a few classes left to take. But you make a plan with your teachers. The athletic academic services helps out a lot with that stuff.”

But those are just minor blips for a team that looks poised to improve.

“We are as happy with them as we could be for an 0-4 team,” O’Neill said. “We love their compete level, effort, and practice habits.”

That’s a good combination of traits for a young team to have. And if the Minutemen are able to mount a midseason turnaround, the positive effects of their lengthy trip will definitely be a reason why.

“It was a tough trip, but it was meaningful,” Schwartz said. “We got a lot out of it, and made some great progress on and off the field.”

Ross Gienieczko can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @RossGien.