Trio of second period goals leads Maine to 3-1 win over UMass hockey -

Prince Hall flood over winter break -

Minutemen look to avoid three straight losses with pair against Vermont -

Men’s and women’s track and field open seasons at Dartmouth Relays -

Turnovers and poor shooting hurt UMass women’s basketball in another conference loss at St. Bonaventure -

Shorthanded, UMass men’s basketball shocks Dayton with 62-60 win -

Northampton City Council elects Ryan O’Donnell as new council president -

UMass power play stays hot but Minutemen lose 8-3 to UMass Lowell -

UMass hockey falls to UMass Lowell in 8-3 blowout -

UMass hockey falls short against Yale in 5-3 loss Friday -

Otis Livingston II, George Mason drop UMass men’s basketball 80-72 -

The best ways to decorate your dorm room

(Dorm Room Collage/Jessica Picard)

(Jessica Picard/Daily Collegian)

After choosing a room, finding a roommate and moving in, it is time for the most important process of all: decorating your dorm room. The dorm room is the small space that must be both comfortable and functional. The best rooms are the ones you make your own, transforming it from bare white walls to your chic escape after classes. No matter your style, these fun ideas will be sure to make your dorm Bed Bath & Beyond-catalog ready without breaking the bank.

The first thing to decide is the color scheme or theme of the room. Have a roommate? No problem. Just focus on your side of the room, or have fun choosing a theme together. It may seem silly getting everything you need in a very select few colors, but once all done, it brings the entire room together.

Twinkle or “Christmas” lights are a must-have for every college student wishing to add some magic touches to their room. String them along the wall, around shelves or a make a “window” above your bed. Do this by stringing lights along the wall above your headboard and hang a sheer curtain over them that lets the light shine through, creating the illusion of having another window illuminating the room.

You can also put battery-powered lights in jars or bottles around the room to give a fairy or firefly look. They are a great alternative to candles and add a nice glow to the space.

There are multiple ways to use curtains as décor in the dorm room. In addition to the faux “window over the bed,” you can also simply put a curtain over the window. If you live in a dorm with a changing area such as Orchard Hill, a curtain placed in the doorway adds both style and privacy. Light colors or sheer curtains work best over the bed and in the window because they allow light to come in the room. But choose a darker color within your theme for the curtain over the door for added privacy.

For a fun DIY project get different sizes of blank canvas and decorate them yourself. Use paint, beads, flowers, glitter – anything to add color and character to your room. Make it a bonding activity for you and your roommate or friend to paint your memories, glue pictures or scrapbook anything that can make your decorations a living memory.

You can even put a creative spin on the way you hang personal pictures. Arrange them in different patterns, spell words with them or use them as a border around your walls. If you are a person who changes their wall décor or pictures regularly and don’t want to unstick them from the wall constantly, hang string, ribbon or even wire along the wall and use clothespins to hang up photos. This way they can be changed around easily with no ripping or crinkling.

A personalized and put-together dorm room can make any task more enjoyable, from doing homework to hanging with friends to relaxing at the end of the day. Experiment with your style and what works for you, and don’t be afraid to switch it up.

Jessica Picard can be reached at jpicard@umass.edu.