FSU holds off the Wolfpack while Hill leads the Aggies to an overtime victory

(Courtesy of SD Dirk/Flickr)
(Courtesy of SD Dirk/Flickr)

There wasn’t much hype heading into Saturday’s matchup between Florida State and North Carolina State, but it turned out to be one of the best games of the weekend.

Both teams entered this game undefeated and atop of the Atlantic Division in the Atlantic Coast Conference. However, not many gave the Wolfpack a chance to upset the No. 1 ranked Seminoles. But N.C. State didn’t go down easily.

It took a second half FSU comeback to overcome a 38-28 third quarter deficit and to remain perfect for the season. The final score of the offensive shootout was a 56-41 Seminoles’ win, as both teams’ offenses accumulated over 500 total yards.

The Wolfpack rushed out to an early 24-7 first quarter lead behind a balanced rushing and passing attack. But FSU cut the lead to 24-21 heading into halftime.

After Shadrach Thornton’s rushing touchdown put N.C. State up 38-28 with six minutes, 37 seconds left, the Seminoles outscored the Wolfpack 28-3 the rest of the way.

N.C. State’s offense had its way with FSU for most of the game, but a key third quarter fumble in its own red zone allowed the Seminoles to take the lead.

Wolfpack quarterback Jacoby Brissett threw for 359 yards and three passing touchdowns in the loss.
After serving a one-game suspension for making vulgar remarks in a public venue, Jameis Winston returned to action for FSU and threw for 365 yards and four touchdowns. His fourth touchdown gave the Seminoles their first lead of the game 43-38 late in the third quarter after the N.C. State fumble.

FSU running back Karlos Williams added to the offensive output with a game-high 126 rushing yards and three rushing touchdowns.

The Seminoles return home next Saturday to take on Wake Forest.

Texas A&M survives Arkansas

Four quarters wasn’t enough to decide the victor between No. 6 Texas A&M and unranked Arkansas, so both teams dueled it out in overtime.

On the first play of overtime for the Aggies, quarterback Kenny Hill and wide receiver Malcome Kennedy connected for a 25-yard touchdown reception to put Texas A&M up 35-28, but the Razorbacks still had one last chance to tie and extend the game on their next possession.

Arkansas’ ensuing drive came down to a fourth and 1 situation at the Aggies’ 16-yard line. The Razorbacks decided to hand the ball off to Alex Collins, who was met by a swarming Texas A&M defense at the line of scrimmage, forcing a turnover on downs and sealing an Aggies victory.
With the win, Texas A&M improved to 5-0 for the first time since 2001.

In the fourth quarter, the Aggies rallied from 14 points down to force overtime. Trailing 28-14, Hill led two scoring drives to tie the game with just over two minutes to play.

Hill, a first-year starter for Texas A&M, finished the game with 386 passing yards and four passing touchdowns while turning the ball over just once. More than half of his total passing yards and three of his four touchdowns came in the fourth quarter and overtime alone. His two touchdowns in the fourth quarter came on an 86-yard pass to Edward Pope and a 59-yard pass to Josh Reynolds. Pope led the Aggies’ receiving corps in receiving yards with 181.

Despite the loss, Arkansas had success with its rushing attack. As a team, it accounted for 285 rushing yards. The Razorbacks’ run game was led by Collins, who rushed for 131 yards on 21 carries and had one 50-yard touchdown.

Victor Pusateri can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @victorpusateri.