UMass men’s soccer hopes to capitalize on strong defensive play to pick up season’s second win against Hartford on Wednesday

(Cade Belisle/Daily Collegian)
(Cade Belisle/Daily Collegian)

The Massachusetts men’s soccer team has not fared well in close games as of late.

UMass has lost three straight matches by one goal – including an overtime loss against Harvard – since picking up its first win of the season against Fairfield on Sept. 19.

In their most recent matchup on Saturday, the Minutemen dropped a 1-0 decision to Saint Joseph’s in their first Atlantic 10 matchup of the season, where the lone goal came with four minutes left to play in regulation.

Despite the recent string of disappointing finishes, senior defender Matt Keys said that the team is keeping a positive mindset and is encouraged by the fact that it has remained consistently competitive in recent play.

“It’s kind of tough since they are close losses, especially when (the game is) lost in the last five or so minutes like (Saturday),” Keys said. “But to look on the bright side, it’s good that they are close matches. In the past four games that we have played, we’ve been in each one of those games.”

Interim coach Devin O’Neill agreed that the team has maintained a confident outlook, which he said was important since the team’s ultimate goal of winning the A-10 is still alive.

“Everything that we wanted to try to achieve this fall is still in front of us, so we’re mindful of that,” O’Neill said. “It is a concern that maybe (the team) would become a little bit despondent or lose some motivation, but I think it’s our job as coaches to try to counter that as much as we can, which we have been doing.”

“There’s no question that getting a win or two wouldn’t hurt us though.”

UMass’ next opportunity to do so is Wednesday when it travels to West Hartford, Connecticut to take on Hartford (4-4-2, 0-1-0 American East) in one of its final non-conference games of the season.

The Minutemen (1-8-0, 0-1-0 A-10) will rely on its defense against the Hawks, an area that’s been a strong suit for the team so far this season.

After allowing nine goals in its opening two games, UMass hasn’t conceded more than three goals in any match since. According to Keys, the chemistry stemming from steady play together led to the unit’s success.

“If you look at the starting lineup, the defense has been pretty consistent throughout the season,” Keys said. “Just being able to work with each other each game, we’ve got that gel together that we know how each other play and we’re comfortable with each other on the field.”

In particular, Keys—who is 6-foot-4—will play a major factor in defending the height of Hartford’s attack led by 6-foot-4 forwards Romaine Williamson and Omar Tall, who have scored a goal apiece so far.

“They’re really just some very good players who are very dynamic offensively,” O’Neill said. “It’ll be a good test but I think we’ll be able to match it.”

Keys said that the Minutemen plan on countering the Hawks’ attack by running different set pieces and trying to keep the ball on the ground to avoid header opportunities for Hartford’s taller players.

“A lot of the teams that we’ve played were taller than us, so that’s something that we’re used to,” Keys said.

In contrast to UMass’ recent defensive success, O’Neill said that Wednesday’s game will serve as an opportunity for its struggling offense—which has been shut out five times this season—to break out.

According to O’Neill, while he’s seen improvement in the team’s overall passing, the Minutemen have failed to capitalize on final passes, such as its crossing opportunities.

“We’re stuttering a little in the final third, and that’s where we will need to focus and get better chances,” O’Neill said. “We’re just not creating enough good goal-scoring opportunities.”

Keys said that he is confident that the offense will find its groove on Wednesday and provide a confidence booster before UMass continues its A-10 schedule against Virginia Commonwealth on Saturday.

“It’s a long season,” Keys said. “I know our record isn’t reflecting a positive aura right now, but I think our goal for the A-10 tournament is still alive, so we’re going to keep working towards that.”

Anthony Chiusano can be reached at [email protected] and can be followed on Twitter @a_chiusano24.