Access versus investment: UMass perpetuates ableism

(Collegian File Photo)
(Collegian File Photo)

If you ever visited the section on the University of Massachusetts’ webpage regarding community standards, you know that you attend a school that boasts a learning community of “civility and respect.”

As students, we are expected to “maintain high standards of conduct and participate in fostering the well-being of this unique educational community.” The governing Code of Student Conduct “helps us realize those goals and focuses our collective efforts into creating a safe living and learning environment dedicated to academic exploration and personal growth.”

Unfortunately, having this educational experience in an adequate and safe learning environment is not a right that we all enjoy. The ablelist set-up of our campus is a pressing issue. The fact that some students are not receiving the “state-of-the-art education” that this University boasts is unjust and discriminatory.

Two weeks ago, Meredith Wells, a sophomore theater major and mellophone player in the marching band, got ready for the Homecoming football game. Like the rest of the student body, she had received the campus-wide email that said, “We want to see you at the game – Support your team.”

She was elated by the prospect of the newly remodeled McGuirk Stadium. Recently confined to a wheelchair, it was not easy making the journey to Gillette Stadium. Wells said she thought the University would invest in facilities that were ADA accessible. However, $34.5 million later, Wells found herself carried high into the stands by one of her band-mates. No ramps. Let’s Go UMass?

“I saw one ramp on the other side of the stadium, so I guess it was technically legal,” Wells said.

One of the reasons for not updating the stadium was a result of “limited dollars,” according to UMass Director of News and Media Relations Edward Blaguszewski. As the Valley Advocate reported in a recent article, “The tight budget demands ‘trade-offs.’ It would cost millions of dollars to make the entire stadium ADA compliant.”

What’s the trade-off when a student’s safety and access is implicated by this frugality?
“Apparently, it is not worth it to UMass,” Wells said. “To someone in a wheelchair, this is a slap in the face. It’s about priorities.”

It is infuriating to see the University investing enormous amounts of capital on frivolous facelifts – such as the new Blue Wall – when there are students who can’t even access the spaces they need. This oversight is an obvious demonstration of the corporate interest that rules the campus.

Wells’ on-campus difficulties have been offset by the wonderful support of Disability Services and the Theater Department faculty and staff.

“They do everything in their power to make my experience less stressful,” she said.
Still, the inaccessibility illuminated by this ablest decision-making is a common experience for Wells on UMass’ campus. In particular, she said the Fine Arts Center and McGuirk Stadium pose the greatest difficulties.

As a theater major, Wells is required to do active physical participation in class. The Theater Department has one space that is a fully equipped studio, called Cabaret 204. It is highly coveted and utilized by all theater majors as a laboratory to produce innovative works.

This space is only accessible by two flights of concrete stairs. No elevators. When Wells auditioned for a show, the only way she could reach the space was by a piggyback ride. This mode of transportation is a time-consuming ordeal that requires asking someone for help, being carried up two flights of stairs, waiting on the floor of the cold landing while the wheel chair gets carried up after and then having to pull herself back into the wheel chair. What if there was a fire?

Said Chancellor Kumble Subbaswamy in a statement on equal opportunity: “We remain strongly committed to that once radical vision that every deserving citizen should have the opportunity to attend college.”

I think we can all agree on this. Wells is as equally deserving as the rest of us. While she is receiving an education, her experience is limited by the lack of accessibility on campus. The University should consider granting all students full access to their experience before prioritizing a $20 million renovation of Blue Wall’s aesthetics.

If you are interested in getting involved in these issues regarding the updating of accessibility to facilities, join the new student coalition, “WHAT THE FAC?” on Facebook. This group demands increased funding for the Arts programs on campus in an effort to update its dilapidated facilities. Your voice is important and welcome.

Emma Ayres is a Collegian Contributor and can be reached at [email protected].