Search for permanent dean of the Commonwealth Honors College begins

(Collegian File Photo)
(Collegian File Photo)

University of Massachusetts Provost and Senior Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs Katherine Newman recently announced that a search has begun for a permanent dean of the Commonwealth Honors College.

According to the Honors College website, the honors program at UMass began in the 1960s, and the Massachusetts Board of Higher Education designated the Amherst campus as the location for the Commonwealth Honors College in 1999.

In the fall of 2013, CHC opened its residential complex on Commonwealth Avenue, marking the beginning of a new phase for the program at UMass. The complex, which includes six residence halls, faculty offices, Roots Cafe, the Bloom Honors Advising Center and honors-specific classrooms, is the brainchild of the late Dean Priscilla Clarkson, distinguished professor of kinesiology, who died just a few weeks before the CHC Residential Community opened in September 2013.

Clarkson intended the residential community to serve as a model for the unification of the academic and residential aspects of a university, according to a previous article by the Collegian.

After Clarkson, Associate Dean of CHC Daniel Gordon was appointed interim dean on Aug. 29, 2013.

The dean of CHC reports directly to Provost Newman, and is “responsible for encouraging and facilitating the continued and increased involvement in CHC of students and faculty from across the campus; collaborating with members of the Provost’s Council on projects that enhance the undergraduate educational experience for students enrolled in the College; and developing and implementing programs for active, in-depth learning,” according to the Office of the Provost. A search committee for a permanent dean was formed last week, consisting of faculty, administrators and students.

“The Commonwealth Honors College is one of UMass Amherst’s most important assets and a critical part of the campus’ strategic plan. It is part of what makes us a ‘destination of choice’ for a talented, diverse student body,” said John McCarthy, committee chair, vice provost and dean of the Graduate School. “We are looking for a dean who is a highly accomplished scholar or scientist with a strong interest in undergraduate education.”

The committee will be assisted by Witt/Kieffer, a professional search firm specializing in academic and institutional appointments, according to its website. At the time of publication, the firm’s representative was unavailable for comment, but the firm will be responsible for nominations, inquiries and applications for the position, according to a UMass press release.

The SGA representative on the committee, CHCRC Area Governor Christopher Earls, said that he hopes to assess the candidates’ ability to work with students and lead the University’s first residential college, emphasizing the importance of a candidate who will utilize the “exciting opportunity to closely integrate the academic and residential experience of college.”

When it comes to the final selection, Earls said, “(I) will recommend the candidates who are most qualified to fulfill this goal, who show a genuine interest in serving the students of the residential community, the college and UMass Amherst.”

Thomas Dalton can be reached [email protected].