Progressive dance music makes its way to NoHo this week

The first time I heard Papadosio’s progressive psychedelic jam music, I was mid-brush stroke on an art piece I had been struggling on for weeks. The minute its ethereal sound flowed into the room, I was hooked and quickly completed my painting, which wasn’t hard to do with the incredible vivacity its music brings into a room. Papadosio has tight drumbeats, profound lyrics and unique synth work that are an inspiration for artists and people everywhere.

The quintet met in Athens, Ohio but now call Ashville, North Carolina home. Both cities are thriving creative areas and inspire the group to delve deeper into the world of music and sound. Anthony Thogmartin fronts the group as the singer-songwriter, producer and guitarist. He is balanced out with Mike Healy on drums and Rob McConnell on bass. Brothers Billy and Sam Brouse, who help give individuality to the sound with their masterful synth, two-headed keyboard and programming skill, fill out the group.

Papadosio has ceaselessly toured the country since the release of its critically acclaimed album “Observations” in 2009. As it travelled, the band continued to write and after its second record “To End the Illusion of Separation (T.E.T.I.O.S.)” was revealed, it was obvious the group had experienced a shift of sound and of mentality. “T.E.T.I.O.S.” is a call to arms of sorts. It asks people to refuse to conform to the stereotypes and synthetic obstacles of society. Wealth, class and ideology set aside, Papadosio wants individuals to come together for humanities sake and this immense double-album shows that desire clearly.

Following “T.E.T.I.O.S.” came “Night & Day,” which is a live album released this year.
Papadosio’s music encompasses “themes of conservation, tolerance and mind-expansion.” Using dynamic beats inspired by Pink Floyd, Radiohead, Fleet Foxes, Ott, Boards of Canada, Claude Debussy and many more, it pushes the audience toward a progressive future of acceptance. Papadosio’s sound has a beautiful meld of organic movement and technological grit. It’s a mixture of folk, dance, jam and electronica and masterfully blends these genres into a unique and intriguing sound.

Papadosio will be performing at Pearl Street Nightclub this Thursday as a mid-tour stop on a three-month excursion across the country. It will be jamming with Twiddle, an equally impressive group which originated from Vermont. Twiddle began at Castleton State University in the fall of 2004, when Mihali Savoulidis and Ryan Dempsey realized their matching devotion and unmistakable rapport. After recruiting Brook Jordan and Billy Comstock, the band’s original bassist now replaced with the mastery of Zdenek Gubb, they grabbed listeners’ attention and managed to tour the Northeast, compiling a collection of original works before graduation. Its 2007 debut album, “The Natural Evolution of Consciousness” exhibits the band’s multifarious inspirations, incredible lyricism and spot on musicality.

The record “delves into the human spirit, speaks to our ambition, grief and love.”
Twiddle’s sound is a beautiful mixture of jazz, bluegrass, classical, reggae and funk. Its songs come across as improvisation, but in reality are complicated and in-depth arrangements that will “never fail to leave the crowd lusting for more.” The band brings a dynamic energy to every show, making it impossible to stand still and drawing the audience in.

Papadosio and Twiddle will be joined by Honeycomb, an artist that brings great energy, rhythm and rhyme to any stage. With these three brilliantly creative groups in one venue, this show would be a shame to miss. Artists and music lovers from all over Western Massachusetts will flock to Pearl Street Nightclub on Thursday to jam with some of the most progressive musicians of today.

The doors open at 9 p.m. and tickets are $15 online and $20 at the door.

Adria Kelly can be reached at [email protected].