UMass women’s soccer claims playoff spot despite scoreless tie in regular-season finale

(Judith Gibson-Okunieff/Daily Collegian)

After an offensive explosion in its two final home games last weekend, the Massachusetts women’s soccer team was held scoreless in its final two matches as it dropped Friday night’s game at Richmond 2-0 and played Davidson on Sunday to a 0-0 double-overtime draw.

With the regular season completed, UMass (5-8-5, 3-3-2 Atlantic 10) secured the eighth and final seed in the upcoming A-10 tournament and is set to face top-seeded La Salle in the opening round.

The Minutewomen finished the season on Sunday in familiar fashion against the Wildcats, battling them to a double-overtime tie to close the regular season. The two extra periods marked UMass’ eighth double-overtime game of the year and its fifth draw.

Redshirt sophomore Danielle Kriscenski played in goal for the Minutewomen and contributed four saves for the game. Sunday marked her fifth shutout of the season.

On offense, UMass was led by sophomore Daniela Alvarez, who recorded a team-high five shots on goal.

The Minutewomen held the advantage in shots and corner kicks against the Wildcats 18-13 and 7-5, respectively, but were held off the scoreboard by Davidson’s senior goalkeeper Rachel Locke.

Locke kept the Wildcats in the game with seven saves. Three of her stops came in extra time, including one in the 107th and 109th minute off of two shots by Gabriela Kenyon.

UMass falls to Richmond

Despite falling to Richmond Friday night, Kriscenski provided a bright spot for the Minutewomen as she recorded a career-high 10 saves.

Kriscenski came off an impressive homestand over the weekend after coming back from injury, where she recorded two shutouts in the UMass’ final two home games of the season.

However, the Spiders (9-8-2, 3-3-2 A10) were able to beat Kriscenski in the 16th minute when junior Ashley Riefner recorded the first goal of the match off a rebound.The goal was Riefner’s ninth on the season.

Meaghan Carrigan then recorded a goal in the 50th minute to put the match away. Carrigan’s goal was her 14th this year, good for second best in the conference.

Riefner and Carrigan, along with freshman Lexi Prillaman, recorded five shots apiece in the match.

For the Minutewomen, Alyssa Fratarcangeli, who scored her first goal of the season against St. Bonaventure last weekend, led the team with five of their eight total shots.

Dayton’s Baujan Field will show host to the Atlantic 10 tournament from Nov. 6-9. The Minutewomen will take on No. 1 seed La Salle, who finished a perfect 8-0 in conference play. The Explorers also claimed three of the past four Atlantic 10 championships.

UMass and La Salle will face off in the first round of the conference playoffs Thursday at 11 a.m.

Frank Corona can be reached at [email protected]