The Bay State goes blue once again in midterm elections

(Politicalpulse/Flickr)
(Politicalpulse/Flickr)

Democrats dominated Massachusetts polls, securing every office but governor during Tuesday’s election.

U.S. Senate and House

Sen. Ed Markey (D) was reelected with 62.5 percent of the vote, resulting in the crushing defeat of Republican Brian Herr.

U.S. Rep. James McGovern (D) ran an uncontested race for reelection. He will return to Washington, D.C., representing the Massachusetts 2nd Congressional District, which includes the town of Amherst.

Democrats also won all other Massachusetts congressional races.

Constitutional Offices

Republicans Charlie Baker and Karyn Polito defeated Democrat Martha Coakley and Steve Kerrigan for the offices of governor and lieutenant governor by a close margin. Coakley had yet to concede at press time.

Democrat Maura Healey won attorney general with 61.9 percent of the vote, trouncing Republican John Miller. Her victory marks the election of the first openly gay attorney general in U.S. history.

Suzanne Bump (D) was reelected as state auditor with 58 percent of the vote, beating out Republican opponent Patricia Saint Aubin.

Democrat Deborah Goldberg beat Michael Heffernan in the race for state treasurer, earning 55.3 percent of the vote.

Incumbent Bill Galvin (D) won secretary of state, defeating Republican Dave D’Arcangelo with 67.7 percent of the vote.

Marie MacCune can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @MarieMacCune.