UMass football prepares for nationally televised game under the lights at McGuirk Stadium

(Cade Belisle/Daily Collegian)
(Cade Belisle/Daily Collegian)

The first time the Massachusetts football team played at McGuirk Stadium this season in its true first home game in three years, it was more than just a football game. It was a production, a social gathering and a rebirth.

But when the Minutemen (2-7, 2-3 Mid-American Conference) host Ball State on Wednesday night, things will be back to normal with one caveat: this time UMass is in the national spotlight.

Although the game will be played under the lights and the atmosphere will be a little more intense, there is still have a football game to play—the first for the Minutemen in 17 days.

“I don’t care what day the game is on. I’m just excited to be in the spotlight,” safety Joe Colton said. “I think it’s really good for the team and the university… My favorite time to play is under the lights.”

The Cardinals (3-6, 2-3 MAC) enter Wednesday’s game coming off a poor performance against MAC West Leader, Northern Illinois. Prior to the loss against the Huskies, Ball State had strung together back-to-back comeback wins against Akron and Central Michigan.

“I think that (head) coach Pete Lembo has done a really good job since he’s been there. There’s a winning tradition and they have a winning formula,” UMass coach Mark Whipple said in his MAC teleconference on Monday. “They know how to win and they play with a lot of confidence in their style and in their system”

Both Colton and Whipple talked about Ball State’s impressive running game, led by Jahwan Edwards. Edwards has 920 rushing yards and nine touchdowns on 199 carries this season. Edwards is on a tear for the Cardinals this season, but he also already holds school records in rushing yards (4,226) and rushing touchdowns (48).

Colton and Whipple noted that Edwards’ running style was similar to that of Toledo running back Kareem Hunt. The Rockets feature back gashed the Minutemen defense for 198 rushing yards and a touchdown back on Oct. 25.

“He’s a stout guy, really patient and fast. He’s an outstanding back. We’ve got a challenge, I don’t think he’s as elusive as Hunt downfield, but he’s powerful and strong,” Whipple said. “I think they’ll try to run the ball… it’s a zone scheme and we have to match up defensively, especially the defensive line and the front seven.”

“He’s a lot similar to Hunt from Toledo. He runs similar, but I think (Edwards) has a little bit better feet,” said Colton. “It’s all about stopping the run for us.”

After taking over at quarterback for Ozzie Mann after five consecutive losses earlier in the season, Ball State sophomore Jack Milas will look to bounce back after throwing three interceptions last weekend against the Huskies. Milas has also thrown for 923 yards and six touchdowns this season.

Milas’ air attack will feature receivers KeVonn Mabon and Jordan Williams, who each have over 500 receiving yards and four touchdowns on the season.

“(Milas) throws the ball well when he has to and utilizes all his receivers. He’s a good manager and gets the ball to all of his weapons,” Colton said.

Inside linebacker Jovan-Santos Knox will start tomorrow for UMass while Whipple has already ruled out Kessan Messiah. He did say that Messiah’s injury is getting better, and he expects him to play next week against Akron.

The Minutemen and Cardinals will kick off at 8 p.m. and can be seen nationally on ESPNU.

Andrew Cyr can be reached at [email protected], and can be followed on Twitter @Andrew_Cyr.