Prolific first half propels UMass past Canisius, 75-58

Photo by Cade Belisle/Daily Collegian
Photo by Cade Belisle/Daily Collegian

It wasn’t always pretty, but based off the Massachusetts men’s basketball team’s recent stretch of play, any win will do.

Backed by a blistering first half offensive pace, the Minutemen outlasted Canisius 75-58 Saturday at the Mullins Center, snapping a three-game losing streak.

“I thought it was nice to get back in the win column,” UMass coach Derek Kellogg said. “It’s always good for morale and team chemistry and things of that nature.”

“We played great in the first half, I thought we just hung on in the second half. We played to win the game and not really to play the way we wanted to play.”

UMass led 46-21 at halftime, but stumbled to start the second half, allowing Canisius to narrow the deficit. The Griffs went on a 14-1 run in the second frame to cut the deficit, and drew to within 64-53 with five minutes, three seconds remaining on a baseline jump shot from guard Zach Lewis.

But an 11-5 UMass run, capped off by a thunderous two-handed dunk from forward Maxie Esho, made it 71-53 and extinguished the Griffs comeback bid. Minutemen guard Trey Davis said the team never panicked and instead buckled down on the defensive end.

“We just came back together and said ‘Listen, let’s try to get three stops and do the things we did in the first half,” Davis said. “I think that’s what we did.”

UMass caught stride quickly in the first half.

Minutemen forward Maxie Esho spearheaded the offensive efforts, making a number of acrobatic offensive layups to build an initial lead. He finished with a game-high 20 points. UMass led 21-6 after guard Jabarie Hinds hit a 3-pointer.

After Canisius cut the lead to 25-13, Davis hit a pair of his own 3-pointers amid a UMass run to help push the lead back to 35-15. His teammates followed suit, as Hinds, Demetrius Dyson and Cady Lalanne all hit 3-pointers in succession to close the half.

It was the Minutemen’s most prolific half of basketball of the season.

UMass set first half season highs in points (46), shooting percentage (65.4), 3-pointers (six) and assists (16). The Minutemen also held Canisius to 7-of-30 (23.3 percent) shooting from the field.

“That was about as good as we’ve played in a while offensively in the first half,” Kellogg said. “I thought we did a nice job of at least spacing better and making plays for each other.”

“For a couple of other people to see shots going in, I think it was contagious,” Davis said. “I think it just really helps us spread the floor when we can knock down those shots if they double team Cady (Lalanne).”

Lalanne added 16 points and eight rebounds, while Gordon had 11 points, eight rebounds and five assists. Hinds had nine points, six assists and six turnovers in 25 minutes off the bench.

It was a statistical role reversal in the second half, as Canisius shot 15-of-28 (53 percent) from the field while UMass was 8-of-24 (33 percent). But a significant advantage in free throw makes and attempts – the Minutemen were 12-of-19 from the line while Canisius was only 1-of-2 – solidified the victory.

It wasn’t a complete 40-minute performance that Kellogg continues to seek, but he viewed it as a start, especially after a difficult three-game stretch in which UMass lost to Florida Gulf Coast, Louisiana State and Harvard. Now, the Minutemen must learn how to finish.

“I think we can play a full game the way it needs to be played for a certain amount of time,” Kellogg said.

“We’re not quite at 40 minutes and I think everybody understands that … Whatever it might be, till the point where we can play a full game, 40 minutes of no bad turnovers, no mistakes on defense, making plays, making shots, I think we’re still working toward that, obviously.”

Mark Chiarelli can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @Mark_Chiarelli.