UMass athletic director John McCutcheon to take job at UCSB

(Cade Belisle/Daily Collegian)

UPDATE (6 p.m.): The University of California-Santa Barbara officially announced John McCutcheon would become its next athletic director in a press release late Thursday afternoon.

He’ll be officially introduced on Feb. 3 in a press conference at UCSB and his last day in office at the University of Massachusetts is Feb. 20. McCutcheon’s been the athletic director at UMass since 2004.

“I want to thank everyone at the university including the coaches, student-athletes, my athletic department staff, the administration and our many supporters,” said McCutcheon in the release. “I have had the pleasure to work with great people over the last 11 years. It’s truly been a special experience, and my family and I will always cherish our time here.”

UMass Chancellor Kumble Subbaswamy also praised McCutcheon in the release.

“John McCutcheon has led the university through an era of outstanding growth and success for more than a decade,” Subbaswamy said. “He cares deeply about our student-athletes, and supported their success both on and off the field. Under John’s leadership, our athletics program meets the highest standards of academic integrity. He has played a vital role in elevating the stature of our flagship campus.”

The release also stated an announcement on an interim athletic director would be made in the “near future.” It also plans to bring in a search committee to assist in the hiring process of the next athletic director.

The news was first reported by the Daily Hampshire Gazette Thursday and a UMass source confirmed the decision Thursday afternoon.

McCutcheon, 61, said in a December interview he was one of six finalists for the job and interviewed with UCSB in November, according to the Gazette. The University is expected to issue an official announcement later this afternoon and will seek a replacement, as well as an interim athletic director, immediately.

McCutcheon was hired in 2004 and is responsible for a number of significant changes within UMass’ athletic landscape. Chiefly, McCutcheon headed the University’s move to the Football Bowl Subdivision from the Football Championship Subdivision. He’s hired four football coaches and two basketball coaches during his 10-year tenure and oversaw significant facility upgrades, such as the building of the Football Performance Center and McGuirk Stadium press box.

He’ll return to California where he was once the athletic director at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo. He also served as the associate athletic director for business at Boston College before being hired at UMass.

Stay with the Daily Collegian throughout the day for continuing updates.

Mark Chiarelli can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @Mark_Chiarelli.