UMass Dining places Super Bowl food bet with University of Washington

Collegian file photo
Collegian file photo

Not be left out of the Super Bowl festivities, University of Massachusetts Dining Services placed a friendly food bet with the University of Washington Seattle on the outcome of Sunday’s game between the New England Patriots and the Seattle Seahawks.

Ken Toong, executive director of UMass Dining Services, and Storm Hodge, assistant director of housing and food services at UW, have agreed that the school situated in the losing state has to send a specially prepared meal for eight to the school of the winning state, according to a UMass press release.

According to the release, if the Patriots win, UMass will receive a crab boil dinner – “Dungeness crab, shrimp, mussels, clams and sausage with potatoes, garlic and corn, plus eight bags of Husky Grind Coffee and local apples.” Toong will select seven students to eat the meal with him at the UMass University Club and Restaurant.

If the Patriots lose, however, Toong will be shipping a New England clambake feast – “lobster, clams, corn and potatoes, plus Boston cream pie, cranberry spinach salad and hot apple cider” – to the evergreen state, according to the release.

“‘Storm and his team at the Washington dining program are one of the best and we gladly take on this wager,’” Toong said in the release. “‘For the record, I think Pats will win by a touchdown.’”

On Sunday, Hampshire Cafe will not be serving Starbucks coffee, which originates from Seattle.

“Superstition perhaps, but who wants to take chances?” Toong said in the release.

Anthony Rentsch can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @Anthony_Rentsch.