UMass tennis sets sights on winning Atlantic 10 championship

(Collegian file photo)
(Collegian file photo)

When winter thaws and turns into spring, the Massachusetts tennis team hopes it’s in prime position to capture an Atlantic 10 title which has eluded it in recent years.

UMass reached the A-10 tournament in 2014 for the third straight year, only to fall short in the semifinals against eventual champion Virginia Commonwealth.

“I expect them to play with intensity and I expect them to play with intention,” coach Judy Dixon said of her team.

Dixon, who has been coaching the Minutewomen for the last 23 years, said she is very excited about the potential this season holds.

UMass was ranked fourth in the A-10 preseason polls, just behind VCU, George Washington and Richmond. Dixon believes the ranking doesn’t justify her team’s talent.

Calling the ranking “upsetting,” Dixon believes that the Minutewomen’s history and potential deems them worthy of being ranked either second or third. Last season concluded with UMass being ranked fifth in the conference.

Dixon says that it’s “a shame, (the ranking) is not indicative of history, it is more like reputation.”

In the end though, a ranking is just a preconceived idea of how things may turn out. The Minutewomen believe they have the talent to prove that they are better than a fourth ranked team.

Of the 11 women on the team, six will be returning from last season, including senior Chanel Glasper.

Glasper will captain UMass this season and is expected to be paired with Anna Woosley in the third spot of doubles.

The veteran has had quite a career with UMass. With a 66-25 record, Glasper is tied with Masha Pozar for third most singles wins in Minutewomen history. She’s only eight singles wins away from tying 2014 graduate Jessica Podlofsky’s record for most singles wins in UMass history (74).

Glasper’s attempt at history will not be the only storyline this year for the Minutewomen. Freshman Ana Yrazusta Acosta exploded onto the scene this past fall. In singles play she went 7-4 and finished 9-3 in doubles paired with Carol Benito. The duo’s performance earned them the No.1 doubles spot on the team.

A native of Las Palmas, Spain, Yrazusta has upside unlike many others and is regarded by Dixon as one of the best players she has ever seen.

There will be aspects to work on though and as the season matures, so should Yrazusta. She is perceived to be one of the top four players on the team, but as a freshman lacks the maturity and experience of the veteran players she’s most likely to face.

It will be interesting to see how opposing teams who have never faced Yrazusta react to her talent. This can give Yrazusta and UMass an advantage in the spring. Dixon described the freshman as “a hidden entity” in the conference.

Dixon added that she believes the team as a whole will be exciting and will show its greatest advantage is its depth, especially at the top of their rotation.

“UMass has always been better at the top,” Dixon said.

As a result, this creates a very competitive atmosphere for every spot of the lineup.

“I expect we will win more at number two and number three,” Dixon said.

The Minutewomen opened their season on a low note, losing to Brown 7-0. It’s the third straight year Brown has bested UMass in a season-opener.

But the Minutewomen are battling through minor injuries from Glasper, Woosley and Ariel Griffin, Dixon said that the team is in very good physical shape. She added that the trio is not expected to miss any matches.

Dixon has added New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick’s mantra of “Do your Job” into her team. If it works for the Minutewomen like it did for the Super Bowl champions, then the A-10 championship trophy will be coming to Amherst.

Philip Sanzo can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @Philip_Sanzo.