Live Blog: ‘Blarney Blowout’ 2015

Cade Belisle/Daily Collegian
A bagpiper walks through Puffton Apartments with a group of people during the 2015 “Blarney Blowout.” (Cade Belisle/Daily Collegian)

6:58 p.m.

Long lines of students waiting to get into the bars downtown formed in the late afternoon.

Cade Belisle/Daily Collegian
(Cade Belisle/Daily Collegian)

5:43 p.m.

Police, University and town officials reported a successful day at a 5 p.m. media briefing in the Amherst police station. According to Amherst Town Manager John Musante, there have been a total of six arrests so far and no serious injuries or property damage.

2:36 p.m.

Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs and Campus Life Enku Gelaye stands outside the Mullins Center with SACL and Residential Life staff as students wait in line for the “Bring the Spring!” concert around 1:15 p.m.

Zac Bears/Daily Collegian
(Zac Bears/Daily Collegian)

2:30 p.m.

According to a 2 p.m. press release by the Amherst Police Department, APD made one arrest of a 19-year-old male for being a minor in possession of alcohol and having an open container. Amherst fire transported one individual from the Mullins Center to Cooley Dickinson Hospital.

Police also made one arrest outside the Mullins Center for a domestic assault and an individual was placed in protective custody for alcohol intoxication, according to the release. Emergency personnel have seen eight people in the triage area.

The UMass Police Department made an arrest for disorderly conduct near Curry Hicks Cage around 10:20 a.m., according to the release.

There have been no calls for service in the downtown area.

However, the release stated that cooperation and respect have been “widespread” between community members and police today.

1:20 p.m.

Police have both entrances to the Townehouses blocked off and are stationed in several locations in north Amherst, including in front of Puffton Village and Hobart Lane.

11:53 a.m.

According to the UMass Transit Twitter account, as of 11:45 a.m., bus routes 30, 31 and 33 have resumed servicing North Pleasant Street and route 30 has resumed servicing Puffton Village.

11:49 a.m.

The Amherst Police Department reported in a press release that there have been no arrests made so far, and police have received cooperation from people traveling throughout town. Officers have also been successful in preventing large crowds from gathering in north Amherst apartment complexes.

University of Massachusetts officials reported no significant issues as of 10:30 a.m., according to the release. Lines of students waiting to get into the “Bring the Spring!” concert at the Mullins Center are lengthening, but the situation is orderly. All 7,500 tickets have been distributed, according to the release.

UMass Transit has stopped service north of campus at the request of Amherst police, according to the release. Buses are being diverted at Governor’s Drive to East Pleasant and Pine streets.