Defendant in 2012 gang rape case says accuser consented to sex

Bile takes the witness stand during his trial on March 26, 2015. (Photo by Cade Belisle/Daily Collegian)
Emmanuel Bile takes the witness stand during his trial on March 26, 2015. (Photo by Cade Belisle/Daily Collegian)

The first of four men being tried for allegedly taking part in a 2012 gang rape at the University of Massachusetts testified Thursday in Hampshire Superior Court that the accuser consented to sex the night of the incident.

Emmanuel T. Bile Jr., 21, of Pittsfield, has pled not guilty to three counts of aggravated rape after being accused of raping a female student in her freshman dormitory on Oct. 13, 2012, while she was heavily intoxicated.

“She was consenting to what I was doing, I thought everything was fine,” Bile told jurors Thursday.

However, the Daily Hampshire Gazette reported that the accuser’s testimony Wednesday told a very different story.

She said she returned to her dorm room in Pierpont Hall in the Southwest Residential Area after a night of drinking to find the men, whom she had met that summer, waiting for her. She left the room briefly before returning with two friends. She drank shots of vodka, which the men had brought with them, and smoked marijuana. After her friends left the room for the night to go to bed, she said she heard one of the men say, “Turn the lights off and rip her clothes off,” the Gazette reported.

She said she drifted in and out of consciousness while the four men took turns raping her. They left, she said, once she began to cry.

In addition to Bile, Justin King, 21, of Pittsfield, and Caleb Womack, 20, of Windsor Locks, Connecticut, have pled not guilty to three counts of aggravated rape. Adam Liccardi, 20, of Pittsfield, has pled not guilty to four counts of aggravated rape for allegedly raping the woman later that night after the others had left.

Bile said Thursday that on the night of the incident, he was drunk to the point where he had difficulty walking. He said he left the accuser’s room with her two friends when they went to bed because he had left his cell phone to charge in their room, and returned to find King having sex with the woman. He said Liccardi was also in the room at the time and Womack was in the hall.

Bile recalled that she “looked fine” and remembered watching them have sex for a while, and then said Liccardi joined in having sex with the alleged victim. Bile said he touched her legs and she seemed “turned on,” and proceeded to have sex with her.

Bile said the woman never said “no,” but when asked by Assistant Northwestern District Attorney Jennifer Suhl if she had spoken or moved at all during the incident, Bile said her eyes were open but that he did not recall her saying anything or moving until she began to cry and told the men to stop.

Bile said Liccardi comforted her until she stopped crying, and then continued to have sex with her.

Bile, King and Womack returned to Pittsfield that night, leaving Liccardi in the woman’s room. According to the prosecution, Bile tweeted, “Crazy ass night #finallyhome.”

Text messages between Bile and the accuser were also shown to jurors during the trial. In a text the morning after the incident, she demanded the men pay her $500 or else she’d go to the police. Bile said they decided to pool the money to avoid going to court.

He said he did not believe he had done anything wrong, but was afraid of her allegations.

The Gazette reported that during her testimony, the accuser said she asked for the money because she was angry and scared. She decided to report the incident that Sunday night after her roommate returned from a weekend away.

Another text from Bile shows him apologizing to the woman the next day, saying, “I failed you as a good friend.”

Bile also admitted Thursday to lying to police when they interviewed him in his home several days after the incident. During his testimony, Bile said the woman seemed “tipsy” but not drunk, and that he had not seen her consume alcohol that night. However, he previously told police he saw her taking shots and that she was noticeably drunk.

He lied, he said, because he felt intimidated by the two officers and thought he had to say what they wanted him to say.

Bile testified that he was friends with the woman and had visited her at UMass on two previous occasions, but the night of the incident she had told him not to come. However, he said a stranger signed him and his friends into the dorm and he was able to get into the woman’s room, which was unlocked, and waited there until she returned.

“She was a little surprised, but she was happy to see us,” Bile said.

After both sides present their closing arguments Friday, the jury will begin deliberating.

Aviva Luttrell can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @AvivaLuttrell.