Neil deGrasse Tyson to deliver keynote speech at 2015 UMass Commencement

Neil Degrasse Tyson, the renowned astrophysicist, will speak at the 2015 commencement.
Neil Degrasse Tyson, the renowned astrophysicist, will speak at the 2015 commencement. (By NASA/Bill Ingalls [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons)
Neil deGrasse Tyson, astrophysicist, New York’s Hayden Planetarium director and host of the 2014 “Cosmos” miniseries reboot, will be the 2015 Commencement speaker at the May 8 ceremony in McGuirk Stadium, according to an email sent by University of Massachusetts Chancellor Kumble Subbaswamy on Wednesday.

Tyson has directed the Hayden Planetarium since 1996, and has become one of the most prominent scientists in public conversations about topics including climate change, evolution and space travel. He has served on several government commissions on space, and won NASA’s Distinguished Public Service Medal in 2004.

The National Academy of Sciences announced in February that Tyson would receive the 2015 Public Welfare Medal, which they deem their “most prestigious” honor, for his “extraordinary role in exciting the public about the wonders of science, from atoms to the Universe.”

In January, the Washington Post reported that a late night talk show based on his podcast, “Star Talk,” will air its first episode in April on the National Geographic channel.

Zac Bears can be reached at [email protected].