UMass women’s lacrosse dominates Davidson 19-4 Sunday

Kate Farnham outruns her competition. (Robert Rigo/Daily Collegian)

At this point of the season – and every season for that matter – the Massachusetts women’s lacrosse team’s outcome is basically decided after the first whistle of the game.

The script goes as followed: UMass wins opening draw control, passes the ball around, scores within the first few minutes and from there on, dominates the remainder of the game.

Sunday’s contest against Davidson was no different as the Minutewomen won handily, 19-4, in North Carolina. Their 19 goals was the most they have scored in a single game this season.

Amy Tiernan scored just 40 seconds into the game, leading a 13-goal first half for UMass which coach Angela McMahon said was one of the team’s best performances of the season.

“It was a great game and our whole entire team played great for the entire game,” she said. “We set the tone for the entire game and that started with the draw controls and possessions.”

Hannah Murphy and Erika Eipp both led the Minutewomen with six points apiece. Murphy finished with five goals and one assist while Eipp had three goals and three assists.

Thirteen different players scored for UMass (12-1, 4-0 Atlantic 10) and nine of its 19 goals came with assists.

“Execution-wise it’s been the finishing,” McMahon said. “We are getting all different types of looks on cage. We are becoming more dynamic and not just looking for the same kinds of opportunities and it was a big plus to see how many of those goals today came from assists.”

She added: “When the ball’s in the air, it makes it really tough for goalies to make saves.”

Davidson (4-8, 1-3 A-10), which is in its first year in the conference, received a pair of goals from Emily Rademacher while Nicole Pettiglio and Christine Molinari each tallied one apiece. The Wildcats first goal didn’t come until 10 minutes, 53 seconds into the game and Molinari’s goal was their only one of the second half.

UMass dominated in all phases offensively as it had the advantage in shots (35-to-15), ground balls (18-to-10) and draw controls (16-to-10). It was also a perfect 16-for-16 on clears.

Goalkeeper Rachel Vallarelli (four goals allowed and four saves) only needed to play 41:37 Sunday as backup Leigh Henjes recorded two saves and didn’t allow a goal in her 18-plus minutes of action.

“I really like where our team is at,” McMahon said. “We have to keep building but overall I’ve been so happy with the way we are spreading the wealth on offense. I think it’s really going to make us that much harder to stop.”

Aside from the eight combined goals from Eipp and Murphy, Tiernan, Nicole Troost, Sarah Crowley, Callie Santos, Abby Walker, Mary Randazzo, Holly Turner, Rory Sandoff, Allison Ryan and Eileen McDonald each scored a goal for the Minutewomen.

While Sunday’s win was another quality performance for UMass, McMahon believes the weekend drip down to North Carolina was an even better bonding experience for the team, which plays two games on the road next weekend along with the A-10 championships on the horizon.

“It was a big trip for us,” McMahon said. “It prepared us for our next weekend with two games on the road and being together.”

Andrew Cyr can be reached at [email protected], and followed on Twitter @Andrew_Cyr.

[liveblog]