UMass women’s rowing repeats success of opening weekend in back-to-back meets

(Collegian File Photo)

The Massachusetts women’s rowing team followed up a dominant first meet in Oklahoma with equally impressive results at the Head of the Housatonic in Derby, Connecticut and Seven Sisters Sculling Regatta in Hadley this past weekend.

On Saturday, UMass competed in five events at the Head of the Housatonic.

In their first race of the day, the Minutewomen placed three rowers in the top 10 of the 1x Open. Samantha Kolovson led the charge with a second place finish with a time of 19:47.1. Following her were Carly Zanatta and Aiste Balciunaite, placing seventh and ninth for UMass.

The 2x Open followed and the Minutewomen earned second, third and fourth place finishes, led by the senior pair of Allanah Rubi-Mooney and Krysten Menks in a time of 18:30.9.

In the 8+ Collegiate, the largest race of the day, the UMass A team finished ninth overall with a time of 15:40.8. After that came the B and C teams, who finished 15th and 22nd respectively.

One of the strongest events of the day for the Minutewomen was the 4+ Collegiate. UMass entered four boats in the race, and all four finished in the top 10. The A and B teams finished in fourth and fifth place, respectively, followed by the C and D teams at seventh and 10th. Yale was dominant in the race, and took first, second and third place.

The final race of the day saw UMass place sixth, eighth and 11th in the 2- Open. Emma Hibbard and Nicole Destefano were the sixth place finishers with a time of 19:08.6.

On Sunday, the Minutewomen hosted Tufts University and Ithaca College at the Seven Sisters Sculling Regatta and showed off their depth as a team once again.

UMass started the day off with a first place finish in the 4x with a time of 19:11.9. In the unique 3x race, Pippa Edwards, Natalie Boisvert and Caroline Garvey combined to beat Tufts with a time of 18:21.3.

Zoe Hill and Alisha Weinstein finished off the morning races with a first place finish in the 2x.

In the second half of the day, the Minutewomen dominated the 4x, finishing first and third with times of 17:59.3 and 19:14.1.

The pairs of Garvey and Hannah McCollough along with Estefi Marti Malvido and Hallie Dunlap placed second and third in the afternoon 2x.

Edwards concluded the weekend racing for UMass with a convincing win in the 1x with a time of 21:31.3.

Next weekend, the Minutewomen will compete in the most anticipated race of the fall season, the historic Head of the Charles at the Charles River in Boston.

Ryan Ames can be reached at [email protected].