UMass men’s basketball picks up four NLIs, Pipkins ruled ineligible for 2015-16

Three days before the Massachusetts men’s basketball team’s season opener against Howard, Wednesday marked the first time high school recruits could sign their National Letters of Intent for the 2016-17 season. With the start of this period, UMass picked up four NLIs from their group of verbal commits.

Unique McLean, DeJon Jarreau, Brison Gresham and Chris Baldwin all signed Wednesday to officially mark one of UMass’ most talented upcoming freshman classes in years.

McLean was the first to sign Wednesday after verbally committing to UMass in early June. A 6-foot-1 shooting guard from Granby, McLean brings tremendous athleticism. According to ESPN, he was the fifth-ranked recruit out of Massachusetts and was rated three stars.

Jarreau and Gresham, both from McDonogh 35 High School in New Orleans, signed next after verbally committing to UMass over Miami (FL) together in late September. Jarreau is a four-star guard and marks the highest-rated recruit to sign with the Minutemen over coach Derek Kellogg’s eight-year tenure.

He averaged 16.9 points per game last season for McDonogh 35, while Gresham added 14.8.

Greshman is a three-star forward, standing at 6-foot-9. For a UMass frontcourt facing many questions in 2015-16, Gresham’s presence next year will be a welcome sight.

Baldwin was the last of the four to sign shortly after 3:30 p.m. At 6-foot-8, 230 pounds, Baldwin was ranked the second best recruit in Massachusetts and will provide another big body for the Minutemen next season.

Pipkins deemed ineligible for 2015-16

Luwane Pipkins will officially sit out the 2015-16 men’s basketball season after being ruled an academic non-qualifier for UMass, according to a statement from UMass athletics spokeswoman Molly O’Mara Wednesday morning.

Pipkins, a freshman point guard out of Chicago, hasn’t practiced with the Minutemen all preseason as his eligibility status had been up in the air. He will have four years of eligibility remaining starting in 2016-17.

If Pipkins earns at least a 2.5 grade point average, he’ll be cleared to return to practice with the team next semester.

Pipkins is one of many recent UMass players to sit out a year due to ineligibility issues. Over the past two seasons, Donte Clark, Rashaan Holloway and Malik Hines have all followed the same route.

At 5-foot-9, Pipkins was rated as a three-star recruit by 247Sports and a four-star recruit by ESPN.com.

Anthony Chiusano can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @a_chiusano24.